• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best high quality NEW tubes?

JJ2a3-40's in a Stereomour here. A step ahead if the Sovtek's.
They'd better be, given that they cost -- what? -- almost two-and-a-half times as much.

Again, the Sovteks, I think, have to be considered in the context of their (bargain) price.

Heck -- and I wouldn't admit this just anywhere ;-) -- the very cheap Chinese 2A3s, branded Valve Art, that came with my Paramours way back when, sound - actually - perfectly decent. And those were $20 tubes when new (late 1990s prices).

Plus, they do look very nice in the dark :-P

DSC_0001 by mhardy6647, on Flickr
Photo by my son -- http://icouldbeahero.blogspot.com
 
Could buy a couple bottles of wine instead I suppose but the JJ's are worth the price of admission.

 
Last edited:
My JJ 300B's have been in my SE-1 since around 2001, though I didn't use the amp full time there are alot of hours on them and they sound very good. It's been my main amp again for quite some time.
 
I know for 6550's the Electro-Harmonix and reissue Tung-Sol (both New Sensor offerings from their Saratov Reflektor plant) are solid. I've had good luck with them in Leslies, anyway...

TP
 
They'd better be, given that they cost -- what? -- almost two-and-a-half times as much.

Again, the Sovteks, I think, have to be considered in the context of their (bargain) price.
I have heard that the JJ 2A3-40 is basically a 300B with folded filament, so should last quite a bit longer than most 2A3s being run at 2A3 operating points. So that would even the price some.
 
Most of the Russian-made tubes come out of the same factory. They are various products of New Sensor, including Mullard, Tung-Sol, Sovtek, Gold Lion, Electro-Harmonix and maybe something else that I'm forgetting.

I have a pair of Sovtek 12AX7LPS tubes that are right decent. Very quiet, and they sound fine. I use them in the phono stage of my PAS2.

My Sherwood runs EH7868 output tubes, no complaints there.

The Pilot SA-260 is sporting a set of EH 6CA7 outputs. Again, no complaints.

I have a pair of Svetlana 2A3 tubes in my Scott Allwave 15. I have put so few hours on it that I can't tell you anything other than they make AM and shortwave radio sound fine. That is, admittedly, a very low bar.

The EH tubes have come from Jim McShane. The Sovtek tubes I got in a trade. The Svetlana were just used.

Honestly I'm just happy that these things are in current production, and are usable. Maybe old production are better, but theres no denying the fact that old stock supplies are dwindling and will eventually vanish entirely. Having a new source of this stuff makes tube amp usage a whole lot more viable.
 
JJ el34's are junk glass IMO. :thumbsdn:

Why do you say that and what other EL34s have you used that are better?
I ask because I just got a pair of monos and new JJ EL34s. They play fine but I don't have other point of reference.
TIA
 
When I was EL34 shopping, Jim McShane told me the EH 6CA7 was better than their EL34. I haven't tried the EL34 but the 6CA7 sounds quite decent.
 
It depends on which tube that your looking to buy. I had nothing but issues with Psvane KT120 tubes lasting maybe about 2-3 days but have had good luck with their 12AX7`s. Not one manufacture has a star filled line-up.
 
I have a quad of re-issue EL34 Mullards in my ST70 that sound great. I have tried a a couple different brands (JJ's, Ruby's) and these sounded all around the best to me.
I bought a quad of really cheap chinese EL34's on ebay that were recommended in another thread, and they actually sounded pretty good, I was very surprised as they cost half the price of the Mullard re-issues.
My next set I want to try is the EH 6CA7's. I have heard very good reviews for around the internet.
 
I like mine. I bought Jim's stock of "cosmetically challenged" tubes at reduced prices, mostly because I'm a cheap ass. They function perfectly fine, but the bottles are a wee bit off kilter. I can't see that with the cage on though, so only my wallet knows the difference.
 
Why do you say that and what other EL34s have you used that are better?
I ask because I just got a pair of monos and new JJ EL34s. They play fine but I don't have other point of reference.
TIA[/QUOTE

The no longer make them but SED "Winged C" made in St Petersburg, Russia. Rugged build, robust sound. Bought a matched quad for my restored Fisher X-1000, before supply started to dry up..baby they went fast! I like NOS GE 6AC7 fat bottles, but the "Winged C" are DAMN NEAR as good

Seems like JJ's sound is improving with break in, but than break! Lost a couple of 'em. The glass is really thin, not a quality build, by anyone's imagination. I wouldn't buy 95% of the new label stuff out there.

Ask the guys who restore vintage tube equipment in museums, they use the good stuff. They have the knowledge and the means. :yes:
 
The no longer make them but SED "Winged C" made in St Petersburg, Russia. Rugged build, robust sound. Bought a matched quad for my restored Fisher X-1000, before supply started to dry up..baby they went fast! I like NOS GE 6AC7 fat bottles, but the "Winged C" are DAMN NEAR as good

Seems like JJ's sound is improving with break in, but than break! Lost a couple of 'em. The glass is really thin, not a quality build, by anyone's imagination. I wouldn't buy 95% of the new label stuff out there.

Ask the guys who restore vintage tube equipment in museums, they use the good stuff. They have the knowledge and the means. :yes:
Thanks - I have a SE EL34 amp and so have a pair of the SED tubes, and a couple of other pairs of NOS tubes. But my new monos take 8 tubes so price vs. performance is a little tilted towards price if you know what I mean. I have 8 of the JJs and 8 generic China tubes that I've had for years as backup. One of these days I'll get some better EL34s.
 
Elrog and Takatsuki come to mind for ultra-high-end new tubes designed to outstrip NOS by combining no-holds-barred construction with modern materials.
 
To contrast the opinions on the Sophia mesh series Dennis Had and I tried the Sophia mesh 45's in his new 45 build. We both agreed that they were dull and uninspiring compared to old stock tubes, especially old stock globes. OTOH, they were low usage hours, so maybe they needed to burn in....

 
Back
Top Bottom