• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best integrateds of the 80s?

I have 2 80's integrated amps. Pioneer A-88X and Sony TA-F700ES. Unfortunately the Pioneer quit working, good news I replaced it with Sony.

One thing I really like about these amps is the speaker connectors. I didn't like the push buttons on Pioneer to select input.

If I was looking for another integrated I would go with the Sony.
 
Denons mid to late 80s PMA Integrated amps were very good. I used to have a PMA-300 which was 60 watts high current power. I just bought a Denon PMA-720 which was 90 watts high current power. Look at my thread and you'll see the inside of these things. Massive power transformers!

Glad to hear that...I just ordered a clean PMA750 / Circa 1983 out of curiousity to try with my 1992 Paradigm Phantom speakers....also a Luxman R114
 
I rate this the best integrated amplifier ever designed and built. Yes it's a big call but it doesn't have a reputation for being called the "The King of integrateds" for no reason.

https://audio-database.com/SANSUI/amp/au-x1111mosvintage-e.html

Sansui AU-1111 MOS Vintage.
View attachment 2360473

Can't argue with that...love my Sansui G5500 & JBL speakers ....hard to beat....just playing around with my back up system ...trying some Denon & Luxman units with some Paradigm speakers...but the Sansui & JBLs stay
 
Can't argue with that...love my Sansui G5500 & JBL speakers ....hard to beat....just playing around with my back up system ...trying some Denon & Luxman units with some Paradigm speakers...but the Sansui & JBLs stay
 

Attachments

  • sansuistereoreceivermodelg-5500_1.jpg
    sansuistereoreceivermodelg-5500_1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 27
  • sansuistereoreceivermodelg-5500_5.jpg
    sansuistereoreceivermodelg-5500_5.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 25
Funny because I actually now run 3 different integrated amplifiers from the 80's...

First one is a lowly MCS 3842 that does duty in the main system and is just a completely solid unit. It is Technics under the hood and runs two sets of speakers at once without even breaking a sweat. Nice amp...

The second one runs the bedroom system and is a Kenwood KA-77. Another early 80's amp, much like the MCS 3842. However, it can only run an 8 ohm load but that is OK since I only have one set of speakers in the bedroom...

Third one is my SU-V707, which is totally a rescue amp. Bought it "for parts or repair" off of the Bay and got it going. Fixed the New Class A bulbs and the speaker selector switch. It was made in 1983 and puts out 90 WPC, although I never run it hard at all. It runs a set of Scott S166 bookshelf speakers with the Philips tweeters and they sound wonderful on it. It is pretty much a beast of an amp.

So all of my amps were made in either 1982 or 1983. And after that quality definitely went down with a lot of the Technics amps, but they still made some good stuff up to about the year 2000. Yes, I am a fan...
 
Denons mid to late 80s PMA Integrated amps were very good. I used to have a PMA-300 which was 60 watts high current power. I just bought a Denon PMA-720 which was 90 watts high current power. Look at my thread and you'll see the inside of these things. Massive power transformers!

Agreed...just bought a clean 1983 model PMA750.... solid build quality & sound....a clean one will run you about $200 plus on Ebay....2021
 
Back
Top Bottom