• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best Knife for Small Hands for Sharpening Water Color Pencils

louisjames

The Real Louis James
Subscriber
Hope folks here have some suggestions. The wife is looking for a knife that she can use to sharpen her watercolor pencils. She is currently using a razor blade. But we thought a knife that perhaps is used for whittling or the like would be a good option. She has small hands and and arthritis in the thumb joints. So that also comes into play. Thanks, Jon
 
Register to hide this ad
The wife has a slew of pencil sharpeners but is finding that hand sharpening is more precise and more fun. She just wants a "blade" to do that.
 
I have a folding knife similar to this which is comfortable to use.
Better feel in the hand than a straight utility knife.
I also have arthritis in my thumb joints-not fun sometimes.

1790166298871.png
 
I tend to worry bout an ultra sharp blade being in the hands of a person with a degree of arthritis, as a slight slip could end in a deep cut, as it did with my wife who ended up in emerg over a serious slip using this really sharp cutting device.

I did a bit (little) amount of research on "sharpeners", and found one that was referenced to be a better than the rest in more than one source, and there are several models. However, they are more expensive. But, I do like the design and build of these sharpeners.


Take a look-see on them. "AFMAT" is the name of this product. And with AMAZON, you could possibly return if not pleased with it.

FWIW

Q
 
Thank you. Appreciate the suggestions and having to take precautions for someone with arthriitis. As mentioned, she has a slew of sharpeners including some very expensive ones. I think she like the feel of using a blade. So the hunt continues.
 
Turning back the pages of time, I did quick look-see, and found that the old hand powered pencil sharpeners are STILL available, and they don't break the bank, being around $25!.

Prob not of the same build as the vintage ones were, but even if they last only a short life span, there'd be no worry about sharp edged devices.

Q
 
She could use that to free Gulliver, too.
You may get some odd looks whipping that puppy out in a street fight.

112ab36c-94c4-4a2a-954b-48e2a096b329.jpg
 
We ended up getting some Japanese NT Cutter and Olfa "utility" type knives with both 30 degree and 58 degree blades. I didn't realize there were so many different "utility" blade types. So it was an eye opener. We also got some Japanese Higonokami pocket knives and a pack of Olfa "trapazoid" double-edge blades. I had looked at the Milwaukee and some others. And the Olfa's, though they need a special holder, are the sharpest we ever had. Next up is figuring out the best way to keep them sharp.

So any thoughts on stones and compounds and a strop are appreciated.
 
Back
Top Bottom