• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best of Thorens

tnsilver

Stereo Puppy
Welcome to AK. I'm not even about to argue with your dad. Get the 125 and keep it. None of the 126 iterations ever came close in either build quality or SQ. The 126 isn't a bad turntable. In fact, I'd grab one (except the Mk-III) over any modern table any day of the week, but the TD-125 is a class of it's own.
 
Register to hide this ad
Would love to hear your opinions on the top 3 turntable Thorens made in order.

I’m getting a Thorens TD125 mkii and a TD126 mkii and I can only keep one.
 
Last edited:
When you look at a TD-125 with an SME tonearm you know you are looking at one of the best tables made for a dozen years or more. Still a quality piece easily restore to like new and ready for the next half century. A true classic.

And many folks think the Thorens arms on these tables are pretty decent, too. It is the one to have, the TD-125 with any good to great tonearm.
 
What happened to the "Thorens TD125 MKII vs. TD126 MKII" in which you've conveyed the same conundrum a couple hours earlier? I took the time to answer your question - why was my effort disregarded? FWIW we're having pasta and burrito for dinner - and I can only keep one. I'll keep you updated.


Although either will "stick to your ribs" in the end whichever one you choose will leave you.
 
Brian, if the 125 mkII looks like this, it would be the one I'd keep!!!

2228553-thorens-td125-mk2-restored.jpg


Just kidding, but both of those tables seem to have a lot of admirers, so you'll not be disappointed with either as ETLS suggests.....since you say you are "getting both," why not try each one out and see what YOU think? Then you will see which one you like better, and vaya con dios the other.....
 
That looks good with the black tonearm, black base and not black armboard.

Makes me think about changing things on my 125 with a black tonearm. I have an extra base and armboard I can allow to have a color change.
 
Brian, if the 125 mkII looks like this, it would be the one I'd keep!!!

2228553-thorens-td125-mk2-restored.jpg


Just kidding, but both of those tables seem to have a lot of admirers, so you'll not be disappointed with either as ETLS suggests.....since you say you are "getting both," why not try each one out and see what YOU think? Then you will see which one you like better, and vaya con dios the other.....
Thanks for the idea! I gotta ask, where did you get that 125 or where did you get the champagne colored plates?? They’re BEAUTIFUL
 
Thanks for the idea! I gotta ask, where did you get that 125 or where did you get the champagne colored plates?? They’re BEAUTIFUL

Hey Brian.....I found the picture on line and have no idea how that was done, but like you I thought it was stunning! I have a 160 and from what I gather, either of the two you will be getting are more desirable than mine so you will be having some fun pretty soon! Can you tell there is some favoring of the 125 in the replies? But I still say, if you can, try them both out and see how they "feel" to you as well.....are you able to do that?
 
Hey Brian.....I found the picture on line and have no idea how that was done, but like you I thought it was stunning! I have a 160 and from what I gather, either of the two you will be getting are more desirable than mine so you will be having some fun pretty soon! Can you tell there is some favoring of the 125 in the replies? But I still say, if you can, try them both out and see how they "feel" to you as well.....are you able to do that?
Yup I think that’s the plan at this point since there seems to be an overwhelming support for the 125 on this thread. I’ll post about the results.
 
if you can, try them both out and see how they "feel" to you as well.....are you able to do that?

That's good advice if you can swing it. You can expect to sell the other and not lose any money on it along the way. Might even make some if you can secure it at a good price.
---
Tom - liked the disappearing post... pasta and burrito's! How did that work out?
 
Last edited:
That's good advice if you can swing it. You can expect to sell the other and not lose any money on it along the way. Might even make some if you can secure it at a good price.
---
Tom - liked the disappearing post... pasta and burrito's! How did that work out?
Is one more valuable than the other right now? I’m only asking because I haven’t seen a td126mkii sell in a while.
 
Can't speak for Tom, but his karma inspired me to repair towards a more fajita-style presentation.....white corn tortillas misted with lime juice, aged beef marinated in fresh New Mexico green chile compote, onions lightly browned, beef braised and served with fresh avocados dusted with fresh ground black pepper......Marguerita on the side......see what you started Tom???
 
Back
Top Bottom