• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best RCA and Speaker cables for my vintage pioneer blue line rack

Mrcoolest123

New Member
Hello everyone! I just purchased the last component I needed to complete my dream stereo, the pioneer SA 9800, thus making my pioneer blue line rack complete.
I got the whole high end components of the 80s pioneer line on the rack, PL 530, TX 9800, ctf 1250, sg 9800, the 2 rg’s and a pair of HPM 700.
Now that I finished acquiring the components, I want to focus more on the other details of the system, more specifically the cables.
Until now i’ve been using some cheap ones i got at the store (that have failed more than one time, and had to be replaced) because i moved the components a lot, and my money focus was on acquiring the components, but now i want real quality, since i plan finally on putting the rack together and won’t move it a lot.
I’ve tried searching online about the best cables for my case, but all the talk about OFC copper, silver plating, and other cable talk got me confused so I'm here for some help.
I would like recommendations for quality cables to connect my equipment to one another, and speaker cable to connect the HPM’s to the unit.
I don’t have a set price range, don't want to spend a lot but don't want to invest on cheap stuff anymore.
Anyone got any options or recommendations?
 
Register to hide this ad
Hey, I've got a mostly Japanese 80's system, I use PCOCC conductor RCA, and speaker cables, you can also use LC-OFC conductor cables, both were top of the line in 80's japan.

I'd use Yahoo auctions via a website like www.buyee.jp and search for either of the above as search terms, they can be had cheaply, and the handling website will hold items for 30 days, and offer multiple shipping options, even with that expense, it's far cheaper than the same cables on eBay etc.
 
..I’ve tried searching online about the best cables for my case, but all the talk about OFC copper, silver plating, and other cable talk got me confused so I'm here for some help.
I would like recommendations for quality cables to connect my equipment to one another, and speaker cable to connect the HPM’s to the unit.
Anyone got any options or recommendations?

AK's search feature (Upper right hand corner) is a great resource I would suggest you use that as your question has been asked a TON of times in the past so you'll be sure to find some good suggestion as well as confusing ones such as the ones you mentioned.

I would first start by scrolling to the bottom of this thread read some of the "Similar Threads"
 
I prefer to make my Own using Monster cable RCA connectors. I use Belden cable for the un balanced lines. I use Cannon XLR connectors with gold pins and Canare 4ES cable for balanced connections, I use 4 runs of Monster cable 12 AWG for Left and Right front HT speakers that are tri-amped and three runs for the center channel that is bi-amped. The wire is run in trenches I dug in the concrete in 1980. The surround speakers uses Monster cables flat 4 conductor 14 AWG wire they developed for car stereo installations in the 70.s, It runs under the carpet with small trenches in the carpet padding. I use Blue Jeans low loss cables for the two turntables as they are custom cut for length. The stereo Speakers uses some of Audio Classics 4 conductor NO 12 AWG wire, wired as a pair with a separate run for each speaker. They lay nicely on the surface against a wall for the Stereo system.
 
You should pair vintage RadioShack interconnects with your vintage gear and lamp cord speaker wire if you want to be period correct.
anything else would be an improvement.
 
I wired my entire system with Blue Jeans LC-1 interconnects, and 10 White Speaker cables, several years ago. I haven't had a cable related issue since. Worked just as well with my vintage gear as they do with my new equipment. One less variable, one less thing to worry about. I consider the prices quite reasonable for the quality.
 
I've tried several different brands of RCAs, and my favorites are Better Cables Silver Serpents. They replaced the Kimber Kable PBJs that were in my system, and I'm using KnuKonceptz Kord 10ga OFC speaker wire in place of the Kimber 8TCs that were in use before.

If you want to try name brand stuff shop Ebay for used or pay for a membership here and shop Barter Town. I scored my first two pairs of the Silver Serpents from an AK member there.

Have fun diving down the cable rabbit hole! ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom