• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best Receiver knob / switch arrangement

CharlieBee

Super Member
Which receiver knob / switch arrangement do you like best?

I own a Sansui 9090db, Pioneer SX-780 and a Kenwood KR-4070 receivers, one of some of the more popular Japanese brands. I like the knob / switch arrangement of the SX-780 best.
The tuning knob is big and isolated to the right. The volume is second in size and located far right and below the tuning knob. Very convenient. I perfer the toggle switches as it is easier to determine what each position means. Even the push buttons on speaker selection are easy to tell what speaker is on. Some of the bigger Pioneer's have lots of push buttons like the SX-1280 and SX-1980. Space must be a consideration and push buttons take up less space.

The Sansui has a convenient tuning knob but the volume knob is lost in the middle of the receiver although it is slightly bigger than the rest. It has lots of push buttons and it is hard to tell if out means the loudness is on or off.

The Kenwood KR-4070 also has a nice big tuning knob to the right but the volume knob is lost in the middle of the receiver. I have owned the KR-6160 and it had the volume knob on the far right and tuning knob next to it but both were the same size.

I always thought the horizontal thumb wheel of the Marantz receivers to be neat.

Just some of my thoughts on ergonomics and ease of operation.

Charlie
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
The Sony STR6060FW simply takes and hides all but the normally used power switch, tuning knob, volume control and a 3 position input selector beneath a cover on the faceplate. Nice, clean, easy to use and non-busy. Only shortcoming is 1 switch under the cover is the tuner selector (AM - FM). You switch this to either and then on the input selector you select Tuner, Phono or Aux.
 
Yamaha's CR-x20 series (e.g., 820). I particularly like Yamaha's variable loudness (which is actually useful) and the separate tape and source selectors (ditto).
 
I'd vote for the Optonica SA-5606. Big rotary Volume knob with stepped positions and a equally huge tuner knob that is heavy and spins from channel to channel when you give it a good turn. Plus, lots of toggle switches (which I like from the Pioneers'). Smart, intuitive layout as well with a separate on/off switch for the tuner. Just my two cents...
 
I'm fond of my Sansui G-5500. Equally-sized (big) tuning and volume knobs in the center, everything else arranged pretty logically around them, with tone and speaker selectors on the left, source selectors on the right.
 
Sony 6055. Nice sized vol and tuning knobs on opposite sides of faceplate and several toggle switches. Yamahas also have decent sized vol and tuning but stacked.
 
I like the gyro tuning wheel on my Marantz receivers, but the row of same-size knobs and push buttoms leaves something to be desired. The late 1970s Pioneer integrated amps (7500, 8500, etc.) have solid ergonomics, as do the Yamaha integrated amps of the same era.
 
I like the switch on the old Sony's receivers and on the Kenwood KA8006 and some old Pioneer's that you can switch between tuner, aux and phono, they always made a lot of sense to me. You had instant pick between the most used sources.

Kenny
 
As most of you know, I think the Citation Receiver is one of the best designed receivers for both function and appearance. The use of "co-axial" switches and controls made for an extremely clean, yet functional receiver.

Cheers,
Joe
 
I hate fake ones... :smoke:[/QUOTE]

I don't know 'bout that. Some of the "fake" ones are pretty nice. :yes:
 
Even though this isn't my everyday unit...I still love the layout....very ergonomic!....( I like those big words)

Realistic STA-2080.....

attachment.php
 
LBPete said:
Can't beat the Sansui G series for big knobs.

- Pete

Well, lets compare: Sony TA-F5A: volume is 4.5 cm in diameter... all alu :naughty: Never seen such a big knob :banana:

My favorite goes to my Sony TA-F5A... huge volume knob in the middle, speakers, bass and treble on the left, balance, filter, tape copy and monitor to the right... 2 huge VU-meters on top of that, between the 2 the 3 function push-knobs (AUX, TUNER, PHONO). :thmbsp:

EDIT: sorry, hadn't seen it was for receivers! Then my fav goes to Marantz (2235B) with gyrotuning!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom