• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best sounding *acoustic* guitarist?

Tentoze, you are correct, I never saw Duane use an acoustic guitar live either. However, I'm referring to his work on studio material such as Little Martha. In addition, perhaps I'm stretching the definition of acoustic a bit, but the man could play an amazing dobro - witness his work on Allman Brothers albums and with Cowboy (Please Be With Me). When all is said and done, Duane was one of the all-time greats in my opinion.
 
Last edited:
NEW - KAKI KING
http://www.kakiking.com/

If you have not heard or seen her play take a look at the clips.... If you were just listening you would think that there were 2 or 3 folks playing... NAW.... Just Kaki....

OLD - TOM SMITH
http://www.tomsmithguitar.com/

He now has 4 CDs out... I have an LP / CD conversion of what may have been his ONLY LP that was done in the 1978 time frame.. I sent a copy to Merrylander. If you are close to him you might see if you can get a copy...OR just ask and I will send....

I can say with out a doubt that the LP is PURE acoustic guitar heaven.... And the CDs rank up there also...

**Just noticed a NEW CD - Juliet's Window - Just ordered it... After I had found a copy of his LP (Still Lifes) at my local TS I did a search and found his web site. Sent him an e-mail asking if he had any other LPs out and he was amazed that I had a copy of that LP. I sent him a CD of the transfer and he was kind enough to send my a pre release copy of "On any given night"... That was kind of him.... How many other artist would do that....**


Both sites have pieces to listen too.... Give a listen at both sites!!!!

:yes:
 
Last edited:
Chaquico is one of my favorites too...

And I was going to say Glen Campbell also...but how bout......

Tuck Andress and Stanly Jordan .....
 
Eliot Fisk. Paganini's 24 Caprices. Jaw dropping.

I'll agree on Richard Thompson. Heard him interviewed on NPR and was very impressed by his tone and phrasing. Very expressive and fluid.

Ani DiFranco just for playing however the hell she wants and not feeling compelled to play her acousting in the expected technique.
 
From the 12 string blues side of the music world I nominate "Mississippi" John Hurt. On one cut he made it sound so simple, and on another cut it would sound almost impossible. Like there was two acoustics playing in harmony. Nothing fancy, just some good ole delta blues.
Later
 
Okay, this is an impossible thread to try to respond. Are we going to include classical guitarists (Andres Segovia, Julian Bream, etc), flamenco/Spanish (Manitas de Plata), finger-pickers, slide players, etc, etc. I think for a start we should exclude anyone whose main instrument is electric guitar—not including amplified acoustic guitar. In one fell swope, we eliminate a bunch of those mentioned above.
Since there are still too many categories, I'll only mention blues(wo)men. The Reverend Gary Davis is a remarkable player. Mississippi John Hurt has a gentle, seemingly simple, melodious finger-picking style that is mindbogglingly complex upon serious listening (a perhaps apocryphal story is that an enthused student of Andres Segovia brought him a John Hurt recording, and Segovia wanted to know who the second guitarist was). Robert Johnson's flashing slide playing has inspired generations of musicians. Blind Willie McTell finger-picks 12 string guitar (!?!?) in a frighteningly virtuosic manner. Memphis Minnie was so good it is claimed she bested both Big Bill Broonzy and Tampa Red (both great guitar players) in a cutting contest. Muddy Waters claimed Son House was the greatest of all blues guitar players. Let's leave it there.

bjarmson
 
Norman Blake.
You'd like folk-grass after you listened, even if you don't before.
 
Back
Top Bottom