• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

best value amplifier under 200$

Got_Horns

Active Member
Looking for recommendations for amplifiers under 200$. Vintage, a/b, D...whatever. Sleepers, under valued, under appreciated.
50wpc or greater. 2 channel or more.

List so far..

Adcom ?
Alesis ra 100
Alesis ra 150
Crown ?
Hafler dh 200
Hafler dh 220
Hafler xl 280
HK 770
NAD ?
Sherwood 6040
Yamaha p2100
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Depends on if you are capable of doing some basic servicing but Adcom and NAD have nice options in that price range. If it doesnt need to be pretty you can get some scratched up commercial type amps from Yamaha and others but some of those have led a hard life being lugged around or lived in smokey clubs . Rotel, Sherwood, and Harman Kardon have options. I prefer the older AB amps because the layouts are usually really easy to service.
 
Depends on if you are capable of doing some basic servicing but Adcom and NAD have nice options in that price range. If it doesnt need to be pretty you can get some scratched up commercial type amps from Yamaha and others but some of those have led a hard life being lugged around or lived in smokey clubs . Rotel, Sherwood, and Harman Kardon have options. I prefer the older AB amps because the layouts are usually really easy to service.
Im open to this route. I need to learn how to fix gear anyways. Any specific model numbers? I loved HK gear I've had in the past. I've read good things about Rotel.
 
The Heathkit AA-1640 can be found at that price occasionally. It’s a tank and one of the best amps I own. Plenty of continuous power and headroom.
 
Look for a used Yamaha Professional Amplifier. P2100.

I forgot about these. I have a p2150. No meters so cheaper.

Monster amp. It is a pa amp so terminal strip for speakers and xlr inputs. And heavy.

I created xlr to RCA to use my unbalanced preamp and added binding posts for speakers. Much easier to swap in my main system.

Might be too big for the Klipsch speakers. But works great in my system.
 
I made my life easy by using Crown XLS A/B amps. Does all you're asking for. Their Class D amps are a huge bargain, too, for specs, power and features.
 
‘70’s Sony go cheap while they are excellent. Likely easier to find receiver.

I have a 6065 and love it!!!
I've had all sorts of Sony receivers throughout my life. They all worked without issue. I have an 80s 150wpc Sony av 601, made in Japan. I'm using it now for my Klipsch klf20s. Sounds good to me, still working great. Don't know why it gets all the hate. Their mid fi gear is very good and extremely under appreciated Imo.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom