• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best value in Sansui tuner?

KeithD

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm thinking about getting a Sansui tuner to go with my AU-9900. I'd love to have a TU-9900, but they are a significant investment in $$. So, just wondering if anyone has experience with other Sansui tuners and what is the best value (performance/cost)? I'd be ok with either an analog or digital tuner, so would like recommendations on either.
 
Register to hide this ad
You could look for a TU-7900.

A TU-717 is not really budget and wont match real well.

As for digital, I have had the TU-S77X and the TU-D99X and prefer the TU-X301i. Not to be confused with the TU-X301, like someone on eBay is.

I still have the TU-X301i, which I think is a great value.

Rob
 
A TU-7900 or maybe 9500 seem to be the best secondary options, though not many 7900's around...
I would go the 7900, better tuner design. I have aligned both, the TU9500 is a bitch to align and it needs some mods to get it sounding good.....but the 7900 is jut inherently a better tuner design...Made and designed in the mid 70's when FM was at its peak....
 
Thanks Kev, that's very helpful. I would not have guessed the 9500 is that much more difficult.

By the way, have you ever compared the TU-7900 to a TU-9900? Is there a big difference in the sound or sensitivity or is it more of an incremental difference?
 
Thanks Kev, that's very helpful. I would not have guessed the 9500 is that much more difficult.

By the way, have you ever compared the TU-7900 to a TU-9900? Is there a big difference in the sound or sensitivity or is it more of an incremental difference?
Well, the TU9500 I restored/Aligned for a customer turned out really good, but because of the ver discrete nature of the circuits, its very time consuming to align, and you often have to go back and tweak it for a final touch up, there are cap upgrades, and a lot of noisy old transistors to replace in them, then because they have no 50µS option for New Zealand, I had to modify the de-emphasis circuit......Just a lot of fiddling around required.

Never had a 7900 and 9900 side by side, obviously the 9900 is quite impressive, but I would say the 7900 is no slouch, and definitely going to be more reliable and consistent in its performance than a TU9500.

I have just finished a alignment/modification on a TU999, I just did a swap with a friend for the most mint AU999 and TU999, I restored the amp last year, its the most mint 999 I have ever seen, with the wooden case, and now its mine with the matching tuner.
The TU999 is in the same boat as the 9500, but I think the 999 is a much better sounding tuner, better design. When I first had it on the bench it was showing about 0.4% THD, when I was finished with it, I got it down to 0.025% THD, and it sounds great, I might do something with the final LPF as I think its stealing a bit of top end, but its a very beautiful sounding tuner....
 
Last edited:
agree the TU-7900 would match the AU-9900 cosmetically, being similar style to the TU-9900

I have always wondered how much difference there is between the TU-7700 and the TU-7900, they appear almost identical?
 
Back
Top Bottom