• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Better amp: Pioneer SA-5800 or Sansui AU-555A?

bscalia

New Member
In lieu of ongoing (!) repairs on my Pioneer SA-9500II amp, I'm looking for a replacement. I'm considering either a Pioneer SA-5800 or a Sansui AU-555A. I've always owned Pioneer amps, but continue to hear good things about this Sansui series (that they sound "warm" and "tube-like"). So, in your opinion, which is the better amp in terms of build quality and warmth of the sound? (I have a small room, I'm using Boston Acoustics A40 speakers, and listen almost exlcusively to jazz). Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
I have heard some of the other Pioneers in that lineup. (SA-8800, SA-9900) They are ok but I think you can do better if you want the warmer sound you are talking about. I haven't heard any of the Sansui integrateds so I can't comment on those.

If you are looking for what you would call warm sound and want a amp that is built very well I would recommend a Pioneer SA-9100 or SA-8100 or any of the others from this lineup.
 
The pioneers are nice but the sansui au-9500 sounds great. Try that i you can get a hold of one. They sell for around 150-200 on that auction site. If you feel a lil more innovative get one of the better pioneers or a sansui like I stated earlier. And because they can be seperated meaning they have preout and main in jacks. Get a halfer dh-100 or dh-110 preamp and just use the integrated amp for power only. To me that is the best way to go for overall sound quality. The hafler preamps are awesome check them out in other posts. I have a DH-100 and love it.
 
A Sony TA 1120 would satisfy the sound that you describe: an incredibly built amp and reasonably priced.
 
If you listen almost exclusively to jazz, and if your room is small, perhaps you ought to give some consideration to a tube amp.
 
I have 2 x AU-555A's and have used them with Boston A40's and its not a bad combination at all. The A40's I thought had were a little too "dry" for my taste, but still a very good speaker. I listen predominately to Jazz and I have a lot of respect for the Sansui, it has a very open sound and lovely natural bass and lends the right amount of gravitas to most recordings. I have used it with my Elac floor standers, AS-100's, AR19's and even my Maggie SMG's, and at my conservative listening levels did a great job with all.

I like the smaller Sansui integrateds, AU-3900 and AU-101, but the AU-555A has grace and dignity.
 

For some people; people who like poetry for example, much can be gained by the use of poetry to describe qualities that are difficult to encapsulate otherwise. It has it's limitations, but also has great strengths as well. Some experiences are simply impossible to express. Poetry also has the strength in that it sometimes allows us to transcend contemporary paradigms of experience.

It may not be as concrete as saying that something is red, or made of metal, but it evokes perception.

Expressing how something sounds is an appropriate use for poetry. :yes:
 
I think that the 555 sounds like warm maple syrup as opposed to flavored corn oil. :D
 
I though about saying that to my ears, on some recordings, like Miles Davis' "Round Midnight" the A40s sound red velvety, but that this probably had more to do with the rich, creamy goodness of the original production. Maybe that's a bit much. Still, a nod of appreciation to cfowler. I tend to think of audio in terms of food imagery; I'm not alone in this, right?.

Thanks for the commentary. I've thought about tubes, but I'd rather not expend the dough at the moment (assuming I'd need to replace speakers as well - - at least that's what I've been told . . . ).
 
I'd definitely opt for the Sansui given the choice. Pioneers have always sounded too bassheavy to my ears....Some may prefer that. YMMV, IMO, etc.
 
For some people; people who like poetry for example, much can be gained by the use of poetry to describe qualities that are difficult to encapsulate otherwise. It has it's limitations, but also has great strengths as well. Some experiences are simply impossible to express. Poetry also has the strength in that it sometimes allows us to transcend contemporary paradigms of experience.

It may not be as concrete as saying that something is red, or made of metal, but it evokes perception.

Expressing how something sounds is an appropriate use for poetry. :yes:

What passing-bells for those who die like cattle?
Only the MONSTROUS ANGER of the guns.
Only the stuttering rifles' rapid rattle
Can patter out their hasty orisons.

Wilfred Owen(1893-1918)


More power to Poets!!
 
ode to the 555a

It kicketh ass
with diodian and capacitorial cheer
its preampian glory
for all to hear
 
Back
Top Bottom