• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Beveridge speakers

Wooww
It looks like I shot some adrenaline in this thread.
Well you look like you know your stuff about these speakers so I am totally relying on your discussion.
I will definitely go and get them, in about 2 weeks.
I don't know if they'll fit in my home theater since I have a 4.50 m wide screen, very close to the side walls, but I will try them for sure and will sell them if they don't fit my room (or my taste).
I don't know if they actually work and I won't be able to test them until I bring them home.
BTW they are the older model I am sure since the owner have them in his warehouse for many years already. So I guess the Model 3 ???
I also don't know which brand new spare parts he is talking about but I guess that since he bought them in the US with the intent of exporting them very far, he probably has been advised to buy some spare parts too.
You probably ask yourself what did he replace them with?
Well, here you are > http://www.apogeespeakers.com/the_grand.htm
He has been my customer for many years (I build home theaters and I am an acoustics consultant) and he insists that I have them, telling me that after I hear them I will probably let go of my speakers (GamuT L5 floor standing).
I am a bit scared of all the talking about recapping and more as I am not very good with wood crafting and electronics.
Anyhow, let's bring them in and hook them up to my amps first and then we'll see.
Thanks for all the info.
Bring it on
 
There is a pair of these at a shop here in Chicago, not sure which version. They are *ginormous*, and the woodwork is beautiful. Two sets of towers, one containing an array of 'stats and other is a woofer column. Some electronics (two huge boxes) also.

I could get them, but there is simply no room here at my house for them. No way, no how.
 
There is a pair of these at a shop here in Chicago, not sure which version. They are *ginormous*, and the woodwork is beautiful. Two sets of towers, one containing an array of 'stats and other is a woofer column. Some electronics (two huge boxes) also.

I could get them, but there is simply no room here at my house for them. No way, no how.

Sounds like the 2SW2's as they consist of a 3 panel stat and external subs, however, the subs were not towers as you describe.

If you ever get back over there, some pics would be great.
 
Just called the shop. They are labeled System 3, and the subwoofers are towers that sit atop the electronics, making them the same height as the towers that contain the 'stats.

Does that make sense?
 
Just called the shop. They are labeled System 3, and the subwoofers are towers that sit atop the electronics, making them the same height as the towers that contain the 'stats.

Does that make sense?

Well, yes... and no.

The System 3's (tall ones in my avatar) only came as a two speaker set. The crossover is in the bottom section though, but no separate subs were offered. The 2SW's were very large and had their own amps in their base along with two separate external subs but they were not towers. The picture below is of a 2SW set. Perhaps someone decided to build a custom tower sub?

attachment.php
 
Just called the shop. They are labeled System 3, and the subwoofers are towers that sit atop the electronics, making them the same height as the towers that contain the 'stats.

Does that make sense?
Wow, a thread that has come back from the dead. A friend has a pair, very very nice to listen to. Have a very open sound to them. You don't feel like you are listening to a "pair" of speakers.

I believe there are a dozen people in line to take possession if my friend passes. Probably be some arm wrestling match to claim the speakers.

Kidding aside, the guy is great, plays mostly LP's and Loss-less from his iMac. Always look forward to listening to them when visiting. I wouldn't have any place in my home for them, which is a good thing since I can't afford them.
 
I'll get some pics.

IIRC the towers containing the 'stats were round, and the towers containing the subs were more rectangular. The bass towers used the same kind of grille foam arrangement as the others. I don't think they are DIY.
 
They were so strange. You placed them back against the wall facing each other in a room. You could walk around and the sweet spot stayed in front of you.
 
Sounds like Model 3's in the shop with aftermarket or custom subs.

To OP you should get them and attempt the listen after clean up. I can help you on parts lists and suppliers if required for the bias boards.

You will need time patience and some space to work. You will be rewarded though!

Good luck
 
Wow, a thread that has come back from the dead.

With so many threads on the Beveridge speakers, no wonder this one shows up. Not hard to pick one to add to as there are just a few. Not like HPM or NLA threads where there are a few on each page of the speaker forum.

Nice to see these old Beveridge thread brought up with new info added. Keeps the knowledge base in one place.
 
Are the full size models adult Beveridges and the bookshelf models Shirley Temples?
I've been waiting a long time for a place to leave this stinker.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:
I remember the first time my status crowd and I heard a set, can not remember the model. Most were running multiple Nines, stacked ESL and some others. Everyone one and I mean everyone of use suddenly felt so inadequate. Not sure if anyone in the group did spring for a set or not.

I, for one, realized the quest for perfection is never ending and worse than owning a boat and I just kept the multiple sets of Nines.
 
Brian,

The KLH nines are one memorable speaker as well. I'd love to add them to the herd at home.. only have experienced them outside my own environment.

Sadly, I was a bit too young at the peak of all these oustanding examples including the Infinity Servo-Statiks. I am a bit of retro nut and have purchased the actual pair of Beveridges I heard 30 years ago as a young lad. They miraculously stayed in my area amongst another audiophile and I was fortunate to pick them up a short time ago.

I do favour ESLs & have had Acoustats and still have examples of the Quad ESL and USA monitors... the Beveridge is really exceptional because of its line source construction and image height prowess. It is arguable, if it is truly correct in presentation, however, it is very remarkable. Dyanmic range , not loudless, is really unbelievable. Like all ESLs distortion is negligible and with the right front end investment ( can be formidible) I would argue approaches some of the best perspectives available at any price, even today.

Thanks.!
 
I owned Altec 19's at the time I heard them. Then I went to the IHF show in Atlanta. Went to Harolds room where he had the Bev's set up. I spent most of the weekend in that room. Never heard anything like them, or since. I went home sold my 19's and bought a set of Koss model 1a stats. Could not afford the Bev's. Plus I got the Kosses half off list because we sold Koss products.
 
Back
Top Bottom