• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bi amp with P2200 advice

Markkueh

Active Member
Pretty new to the home audio scene, so please bear with me. Been running Kappa 8.1s with a Yamaha p2200 Poweramp, and they sound pretty nice. Have the opportunity to pick up a another p2200 on the cheap and was considering bi amping them

My question is whether or not these older Yamaha amps are suitable for bi amping and if there would be much difference anyway. And if so, which would be the preferred wait, horizontal or vertical? Never buy empty before. Just trying to get the most out of these speakers on a budget.

I understand the p2200 does not have any speaker protection so don't want to do something stupid

Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
I use my P2200s in a bi-amp configuration, one P2200 amplifies left and right highs and the other does the left and right lows. Before bi-amping using the one P2200 sounded really good, bi-amping made it sound even better with improved sound stage and enhanced low level detail. The system seems much more musical now to me. I'm using Jean Marie Reynald Trente (6 ohm impedance rated) speakers with a Rythmik F18 sub-woofer.
 
Thanks for the reply, think I'll pick up the p2200 and give it a try

I was originally going to use a preamp with 2 outputs for music listening only. But have decided on a HT setup so will be using an avr receiver with one pre out. Is it okay to use a RCA Y splitter to get the signal to both amps? Not sure if this would degrade the signal strength some.
 
Using good quality RCA Y splitters should be find one for each channel, I daisy chain mine at the amps.
 
Hmm, does your p2200 have signal pass through? I think mine only has inputs, I would prefer to daisy chain at the amp.
 
Is it okay to use a RCA Y splitter to get the signal to both amps? Not sure if this would degrade the signal strength some.

Hooking up two amps to the same preamp (in parallel) is similar to hooking up two pairs of speakers to the same amp (in parallel). The impedance is halved, which means more current will be required. It comes down to what your preamp can handle. I doubt you will have any problems with only two amps. I use my Yamaha C-80 to power 6 amps currently, but the C-80 is one beefy preamp in terms of what it can output and also has two sets of preamp outputs.

Hmm, does your p2200 have signal pass through? I think mine only has inputs, I would prefer to daisy chain at the amp.

I believe they all do. See the picture, where you have two plugs/sockets on each side. One of those on each side can be used as an "output" to daisy chain. They are not listed as an "output" on the back of the amp because the amp itself is not outputting anything on those plugs/sockets, rather, it simply allows the signal from the preamp to pass through. Somewhat confusing in regards to the terminology, but it is what it is.

yamaha-p2200-rear.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom