• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bi Amping JBL 4430's

mike1955

Member
Looking for some guidance in choosing the right crossover for bi amping my 4430's. First of all I understand that by going this route I will have a better sounding pair of speakers and of course give me more flexibility in choosing how they sound.I am considering driving the bottom end with my existing Bryston 4B ST amplifier and haven't decided on which amplifier to go with for powering the high end. It was suggested to me by the previous owner of my speakers that a fairly modest tube amp would be beneficial to the horns (buttcheeks) on the 4430's. I originally was looking for a Bryston 10B for the active crossover but they are just too damn expensive, even used, but I'm still looking. Can anyone suggest another crossover that won't be so dear on the wallet as well as a tube amp that wouldn't exceed my budget of approximately 1500.00 ( not including crossover). I have an old Altec pro amp that still runs well (9444B) but figure it wouldn't do the the high end any justice. Any suggestions in how I go about this would be appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
I've been bi-amping my JBL 4345s now for about nine-years using an Ashly XR1001. It has worked beautifully and came recommended by many as an excellent yet inexpensive solution. I've also heard good things about Marchand crossovers. I paid about $125 for my Ashly used, and bought another one a while back for about the same for another system. As for support, the folks at Ashly couldn't have been nicer or more helpful when answering questions. I believe Sweetwater sells them for around $245, new. s

I've been using a Crown PS400 for the bottom end and Crown PS200 for the upper three drivers. The system is very efficient and has never flickered the IOC lamps even at relatively insane volume levels.
 
Back
Top Bottom