• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Bi-wire cables from (2) singles?

Msas

Member
Looking to try bi-wiring my speakers (Sonus Faber Venere) and before purchasing some new and potentially expensive cables, I'd like to try using some extra wire I have on hand already. I'm pretty sure it's ok or common to do this but just wanted to double check...can I use two single cables to make one bi-wire cable? At the amp end I would either use bare wire or spade for one wire, and use banana's for the other wire, for the speaker i would just use 4 bananas. At one point I had purchased a 30' spool of some Audioquest X2 cable so I thought i would utilize that. The only thing i'm not crazy about is it could be a little bulky, I see some bi-wire cables that look like garden hoses.

Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
You're way overthinking this who;e thing.

First off, your amp and speakers don't care what connectors you use. Bare wires, spades, bananas or whatever. They all "sound" the same.

Second, there are no ""real" bi wire cables to speak of. They are just pairs of plain old speaker cables. Calling them
bi-wire cables" is marketing, pure and simple.
 
In short, yes. What's wrong with it being a little bulky? Many people are quite impressed with "bulky" installations and in fact it's rather trendy, especially if it looks fancy and expensive. :)
 
In short, yes. What's wrong with it being a little bulky? Many people are quite impressed with "bulky" installations and in fact it's rather trendy, especially if it looks fancy and expensive. :)

Haha...I've gotten to the point where I'd prefer to see minimal if any wiring at all.
 
combine them at the amp if only one set of posts. Use solid core heavier gauge for the lows and thinner stranded to the uppers, depending on gear and speakers, you probably won't hear much difference.
 
combine them at the amp if only one set of posts. Use solid core heavier gauge for the lows and thinner stranded to the uppers, depending on gear and speakers, you probably won't hear much difference.

I was thinking of combining them at the amp as an alternative to (2) separate connections. I've never thought of using two different gauges or styles, that would require some purchasing and further researching on my part, any suggestions? I'm sure I won't hear much of a difference, it's more of an experiment. If I hear only the slightest improvement i'll be happy.

Speakers are Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 on stands. Amp is a Krell KAV-300i integrated.
 
I was thinking of combining them at the amp as an alternative to (2) separate connections. I've never thought of using two different gauges or styles, that would require some purchasing and further researching on my part, any suggestions? I'm sure I won't hear much of a difference, it's more of an experiment. If I hear only the slightest improvement i'll be happy.

Speakers are Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 on stands. Amp is a Krell KAV-300i integrated.
I am not an EE, but my brother is and could explain all the ins and outs of different types and gauge wires and what to use to drive what type of speaker. I experimented a bit many years ago but then just bought a pair of Tara Labs Prism Bi-Wire cables and still never heard much. Those cables are now just doubled up on the back of a pair of Dynaudio 82s now as they are not bi-wireable.
 
Why not just use the Audioquest wire that you already have? You could use a pair of stacking banana plugs at the amplifier end. Give it a shot.
 
At the amp end I would either use bare wire or spade for one wire, and use banana's for the other wire, for the speaker i would just use 4 bananas.
If done right, spades offer a better long term resistance to oxidation. My fifteen year old JPS Labs cables using rhodium spades have yet to accumulate any oxidation.
 
Why not just use the Audioquest wire that you already have? You could use a pair of stacking banana plugs at the amplifier end. Give it a shot.

Using the Audioquest wire I already have on hand is the plan...stacking bananas is a possible option, thanks for the idea
 
Back
Top Bottom