• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

BIC 960 cycle issue

Idler50

New Member
Help! Please! I've dsassembled and reassembled this thing 4 or 5 time now and still can't get it sorted. The tonearm sets down on the record and then lifts and cycles. I'm pretty sure it's related to the levers on the underside of the main, red cam (see attached photo with part circled) I can literally tilt the whole turntable forward several degrees and it works fine. Sitting flat it seems like there's either a spring or another lever that should engage the lever and push it forward but I can't figure out what it is (fairly certain it's not a spring). What am I missing? I've cleaned it since ths second phot with brown grease on my fingers.
20241228_174910b.jpg 20241229_163054.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
You have to be sure that kind of half-moon piece gets pushed back toward/into the cam so the trip pawl gets reset, otherwise, a new cycle will begin.

Doug
 
I was hoping you'd chime in. You seem to be the guy in the know.
I think that's exactly the issue. What is supposed to push it? That's what I can't figure out. With the clear bottom I can hold it overhead and see it not move back. Tilted forward, gravity takes control and it goes back in place and there's no problem.

And I'm stepping out now. It'll be tomorrow before I get to try - once again.
 
The half-moon part of the trip pawl plate should stick out far enough to be in the path of the gear teeth and when the cam comes around at the end of a cycle, it will be struck by the teeth on the platter hub and the trip pawl will be pushed back out of the way, along with the trip pawl plate before the boss on the platter hub strikes the pawl again.

BIC recommended manually bending the half-moon out farther if it isn't out far enough. but I would inspect it first to see if there isn't another reason for it not being out far enough or that the pawl isn't following the trip pawl plate. There needs to be enough friction between the white donut and trip pawl plate so the pawl follows the trip pawl plate and vice versa.

Doug
 
Last edited:
The half-moon part of the trip pawl plate should stick out far enough to be in the path of the gear teeth and when the cam comes around at the end of a cycle, it will be struck by the teeth on the platter hub and the trip pawl will be pushed back out of the way, along with the trip pawl plate before the boss on the platter hub strikes the pawl again.

BIC recommended manually bending the half-moon out farther if it isn't out far enough. but I would inspect it first to see if there isn't another reason for it not being out far enough or that the pawl isn't following the trip pawl plate. There needs to be enough friction between the white donut and trip pawl plate so the pawl follows the trip pawl plate and vice versa.

Doug
Doug,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I already drink too much but this was making it even worse. It took me all of about 30 seconds to flip it and just bend the half moon out a little. It works flaslessly now. Such a simple thing but I absolutely was not seeing it.

-Terry
 
Back
Top Bottom