• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Big ass speakers, small ass rooms

No pix, but I know a guy with a 12x15 bedroom with stacked NLAs fed by a Yamaha 80wpc home theater receiver. It sounds unreal.
 
Does this count? Our spare bedroom, maybe 12 x 15?
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 651
I originally used my Altec 604s in an 11 x 12 room but didn't keep any wide shots of the system - here's all I have.

604finished.jpg


They actually worked remarkably well in there and I think that's all about the point source design of these drivers. The corner cabinets helped a lot too as the best place to stuff 9 cu. ft. boxes in a room that small is tight into the corners.

LOVE those Altecs! I can only imagine how sweet that sounds.
 
I was thinking my JBL L80t3 in a 12x18 would qualify but after looking through these cool pics, I see they do not. Ya'll got some amazing systems out there. Great thread btw.
 
The right small speakers with partnering sub can surprise you with the scale they can produce. I'm referring to systems that were designed to work as a whole, not mini monitors partnered with an off the shelf sub. Something like the Infinity Modulus I, or the Genesis IM-8200, these would have you dancing in your chair as they rocked the foundation of your house.

That makes sense, for sure.
But there's still something about those big ass speakers... :thmbsp:
 
I was thinking my JBL L80t3 in a 12x18 would qualify but after looking through these cool pics, I see they do not. Ya'll got some amazing systems out there. Great thread btw.

Got my KEF 105.4s in front of the L200 custom JBLs for now - and the Von Schweikerts VR-4s at the edges ...
its not a big room but the cathedral ceiling and the plants helps a TON with the sound.

Oh, and a pair of Magnepan Tympani 1Ds folded flat and leaning against the coat closet.

attachment.php
 
Before I moved to CT, I used a pair of Polk SDA SRS's in a small bedroom. The speakers were almost touching the end of the queen size bed LMAO!!! All my equipment was stacked on my dresser back then in two piles. What a sonic and visual mess but it was fun
 
You mean this one?

Nah, that's my current 'big' 12.5' x 22' room - but maybe just big by my standards. :)

The room thing is a major challenge when you are into the low-power/high-efficiency speaker approach as anything with a semblance of bass, is going to be big. Altec 604s in the right cabinets and lots of room treatment has proven to work well for me, even in that 11 x 12 space I originally built those cabinets for.
 
At 16x20x8 my listening space doesn't really qualify for this thread....but with Altec 19, Infinity QLS-1, Magnepan MG-IIIa and JBL L250 I'm no stranger to big ass speakers that, frankly, could benefit if in a bigger space than mine. David mentioned it and so did you Wes, but the trick to pulling off the room size/speaker size mismatch is a proper and effective acoustic treatment scenario. It's unfortunate many out there can't or won't embrace the science, but a whole new world of speaker options and, more important, better performance becomes available when you do.

I do have some real concerns about the IRS Betas working in my room, though. But I suppose that won't matter much if I don't get around to finishing up their restoration. HA! :sigh:
 
I wonder if it's as much won't embrace science as it is the allure of a shiny new knob to turn is just that much stronger than that of a pile of fiberglass in a corner?
 
I wonder if it's as much won't embrace science as it is the allure of a shiny new knob to turn is just that much stronger than that of a pile of fiberglass in a corner?

I consider what you describe as a distraction from the science which, obviously, leads to an inability to embrace it. But you're absolutely right...room acoustic treatments absolutely fall short on the sexy scale compared to a new piece of kit (for most). No doubt about that. It's a very real detriment.
 
Back
Top Bottom