• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bio-Tracer or not?

RickeyM

Addicted Member
I'm looking for a vintage Sony TT to go along with some other Sony gear I've got. Something in the PS-X*** series. Some of the decks I've seen have the Bio-Tracer tonearm. Is this tonearm really such a plus, does it add a lot to the decks performance or should I just stick to looking at the models with conventional tonearms?
I really want at least a semi-auto function so I won't have to jump up and raise the arm at the end of each side.
 
Register to hide this ad
When functioning properly there's a lot of love.
They're not all equal.
I forgot the model #s but there are several threads regarding them.
Also unless they've been restored, they're likely due for maintenance
 
And if they fail, difficult to impossible to repair. Same goes for the JVC servo tonearm and the Denon servo tonearms which use similar technology. However, when working correctly, these arms are excellent.
 
If you can locate one in excellent operating condition a Sony PS-X500 will fit your requirements perfectly with the end of record lift, it's the semiauto version of the PS-X600. I owned a PS-X500 since it was new and never had a problem, it operated flawlessly, sold to another AK member and he has recently reported the PS-X500 is still going strong after all these years.
 
Those arms really are very good, buy yourself some spare parts when they come up too. I had a Denon with the servo arm, fantastic when it worked, sold it for parts when it broke.
 
If you can locate one in excellent operating condition a Sony PS-X500 will fit your requirements perfectly with the end of record lift, it's the semiauto version of the PS-X600. I owned a PS-X500 since it was new and never had a problem, it operated flawlessly, sold to another AK member and he has recently reported the PS-X500 is still going strong after all these years.

It's a great TT, all things can break down, I have bought many new things that have broken down. Get a good PS-X500 and you will be pleased as they punch well above their weight IMHO.
 
Back
Top Bottom