• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Black Sony STR-6060 (STR-6000) rebuild..

I've got 2 on order, I'll let you know they fit.. While I wait, I've been working on the case- had one laying around in rough condition, added a little elbow grease and it's taking shape fast..

20200402_223349.jpg 20200408_215936.jpg

Onward!
 
rswojo- Thanks, you are correct- that's a 5A fuse.. My little inspector has been by my side the whole time, and appears to be both confused and amazed that I plugged a lightbulb into one of my receivers..

Update: The recap is finished, the new output transistors are in, and I brought it up on the DBT.. Sound from both channels is good, but slightly distorted on the Left Channel (this is the one that had bad output transistors in it.. Also, the left output transistors are running noticeably hotter than the right.. So I have some issues that are still lingering, and I'm going to need some help/guidance from the gurus.. Here's the skinny:

1. Upon startup, the DBT Lights up and dims, but then starts glowing moderately again. It glows significantly brighter than the "control" 6060 that I put on the DBT next to it.. This bring up a question: Am I safe to start checking voltages while this is powered on with the DBT inline? That extra glow is telling me something must still be shorted in there- maybe on the left channel. I understand the DBT is eating up the amps, but I'm skiddish and I don't want to fry anything.. Note: I've been doing light restore jobs on amps for some time now, and somehow never used a DBT.. This thing is pretty neat!

2. After the full recap, DC offset drops to the single digits on both channels after being switched on for 30 seconds, but the left channel will have spikes up into the .060-.100 volt range.. I only replaced the output transistors, is this a sign that the other transistors on the board are malfunctioning?

Please let me know if there's anything I'm missing. So far it's come back to life, and I don't want to do anything that will cause the magic smoke to appear..

Thanks!!

MP
You should get my Japan market Technics wireless FM1 turntable it has a built in fm transmitter set at 70mhz which is a japan fm band
 
Hi there! I have a 6060 with a blown channel. What driver and output transistors did you end up using? I may have to replace other parts also. What procedure did you use to set your DC balance also? Great job! Looks awesome.
Quick update,

Left channel 2SD88 Transistors are shot, I'm swapping in some NTE MJ15003 this weekend. This is my first go-round with these transistors, anybody have opinions on them?

I'm hoping that no other damage was done, we'll find out..!

Onward!

View attachment 1799373 View attachment 1799374
 
This Sony's the model above my STR-6050. Beautiful black face Japanese Domestic Market unit, and very nice sounding now that you've sorted it. Superb job on that wood case, makes it look spiffy. Awesome job on getting it back to health!
 
Back
Top Bottom