• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Blind Hog Finds a Nut

TheDHndrsn

Active Member
I wanted a DAT. Don't ask me why. Just think they are cool. I found a Sony DTC-59ES on EBay for $32. "Unit lights up. Door won't open - selling for parts."

In doing due diligence I found threads about restoring the 59ES. What the heck. It's only money.

The unit arrived today. Plugged it in to confirm the display. Thinking it either a successful restoration (my first ever) or a door stop, I hit the 'Power' button. Lights lit up. Seemed to initialize OK. So I hit the "open" button.

The door opened. Flawlessly. :yes:

In fact, the unit appears to be working fine. I have not tested in my system, but ...

On one hand I am a happy dude. On the other ... what the heck just happened? Should I risk running a tape, or is the phantom door open issue a hidden land mine in need of further study.

I have opened and closed the unit at least a dozen times in the last hour. Powered down. Opened. Repeat. Flawless.

Thoughts appreciated.
Dave
 
Register to hide this ad
I had a turntable that fixed itself. I also had a CD player that would act up, but if you took it for a ride in the car for a half hour, it was likely to work fine again when hooked up.

I suspect that your DAT just needed some gentle jostling in a box for a few days to set it right.
 
Indicates a need for resoldering.

Ummm, got any tapes for that thing ? Just curious...
 
Return it!!! "NOT as advertised".

On a slightly more serious note, open it up and watch as you load an expendable tape. Then you'll know how to extract it IF the door won't open w/the button.
 
Indicates a need for resoldering.

Ummm, got any tapes for that thing ? Just curious...

Solder joint? Hadn't considered that but it could be the ticket. Must pop the hood and take a look.

As for tapes, I have a few someplace. Back in the day I planned to buy a deck and a buddy gave me a few mix tapes. Didn't buy a deck at the time but saved the tapes. His deck was a Sony, not that it matters. The tapes are probably useless by now and the head is likely out of alignment. And ... I have no idea where the box is, at least currently. That said, I did see it recently.

I plan to pick up a few tapes off of EBay.

Brings to mind a question, though. Are the Sony 8 Digital Video tapes the same format? Have a bunch of those, still in sealed package (and have seen them more recently).

Return it!!! "NOT as advertised".

On a slightly more serious note, open it up and watch as you load an expendable tape. Then you'll know how to extract it IF the door won't open w/the button.

Alas ... I am a nice guy and just cannot bring myself to complain about something I bought on EBay. :D

I like this suggestion, however. Excellent recommendation. Between this and a search for a loose solder joint, this puppy may be have a future.

Thanks!
Dave
 
lemme kno if you need/want a couple blanks... or a Grateful Dead Hour (or 2 - got ~ 100)
BTW - some decks (the SV3700 3800 etc) can be picky about playing back tapes from other machines... Not sure on SONY's.
 
I had a turntable that fixed itself. I also had a CD player that would act up, but if you took it for a ride in the car for a half hour, it was likely to work fine again when hooked up.

I suspect that your DAT just needed some gentle jostling in a box for a few days to set it right.

I had 2 SAMSUNG flat screens 'fix themselves': NO audio out; brought 1 home from friend who gave it to me & c/not get it to fail; 2nd one lost complete power & when "rebooted - it's sound came back!! THAT 1 was @ a bar where I patched some excess computer spkrs. to 'headphone out' and when the whole block lost, it was when pwr was restored that the internal spkrs came back. Still got $40 in food credit!
So DON'T toss those silent SAMSUNG flat screens! Simply reboot !! (n cross yer fingers :D
 
lemme kno if you need/want a couple blanks... or a Grateful Dead Hour (or 2 - got ~ 100)
BTW - some decks (the SV3700 3800 etc) can be picky about playing back tapes from other machines... Not sure on SONY's.

PM'd you, Eddisc!

Thanks man!
Dave
 
Back
Top Bottom