• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Blog post - "Do you know anybody who still buys vinyl that isn't a total dick?"

It takes a special kind of person to appreciate pops and clicks and imperfections in their music," said a retro-specced indie elitist interviewed for a truly nauseating article.

All this proves is the blogger and the retro-specced indie elitist don't know enough to put together one decent system amongst the two of them.

Like fotno said, must be nice to know it all.
 
I thought i would give this article some context for those of you not living in the UK. Steven Wells is not a journalist to take seriously. He thrives on writing antagonistic articles about whatever takes his fancy and has done for over 20 years(he wrote for the NME from mid/late 80's on). I used to look forward to his wind ups of the latest uptight music snobs on a weekly basis.
For what it's worth i find him quite funny(i still buy vinyl too) and am glad he is still around to wind people up.
Please don't get upset about this, it is the type of article that you need to take with a pinch of salt and i don't think it has crossed the water too well!
 
Be right back, have to go flip the album and and take my coat off, it feels like a condom, OH GOD!!! he's right, I've been one all along!!!!!!!!!
 
I thought i would give this article some context for those of you not living in the UK. Steven Wells is not a journalist to take seriously. He thrives on writing antagonistic articles about whatever takes his fancy and has done for over 20 years(he wrote for the NME from mid/late 80's on). I used to look forward to his wind ups of the latest uptight music snobs on a weekly basis.
For what it's worth i find him quite funny(i still buy vinyl too) and am glad he is still around to wind people up.
Please don't get upset about this, it is the type of article that you need to take with a pinch of salt and i don't think it has crossed the water too well!

So, he's kind of like a dickhead, with a pen in his hand? :D

After 20 years, isn't it about time to learn some new tricks?

Upset was not the feeling I experienced when I read his drivel, it was more like disgust, at the thought that an ass-wipe of such immense proportions was allowed a public forum, but in todays world of shock journalism, which places the quality of the content at the bottom of the list of attributes, I think I should be immune to this kind of crap by now.

He's entitled to his opinion (Although if I understand you correctly, it's not really "Opinions" he chooses to write about, it's inflammatory crap meant to get a charge out of his audience) and the freedom to express himself, but that doesn't mean I have to like it, or read it. Maybe it is a cultural thing, as far as to how well it plays over here, but we have plenty of acerbic media jerks here of our own, so I doubt it makes much of a difference.

I am aware that there is a "Tabloid" press that is a little different in style to what we are used to over here, a good reference that comes to mind would be the lyrics to Joe Jackson's "Sunday Papers", so I can imagine how it would be better received in the UK.

I still hope his I-Pod explodes in his front pocket! :thmbsp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnaUL8OpBck

Sunday Papers

Mother doesn’t go out any more
Just sits at home and rolls her spastic eyes
But every weekend through the door
Come words of wisdom from the world outside

If you want to know about the bishop and the actress
If you want to know how to be a star
If you want to know about the stains on the mattress
You can read it in the sunday papers, sunday papers

Mother’s wheelchair stays out in the hall
Why should she go out when the tv’s on
Whatever moves beyond these walls
She’ll know the facts when sunday comes along

If you want to know about the man gone bonkers
If you want to know how to play guitar
If you want to know about the other suckers
You can read it in the sunday papers, read it in the sunday papers

Sunday papers don’t ask no questions
Sunday papers don’t get no lies
Sunday papers don’t raise objection
Sunday papers don’t got no eyes

Brother’s heading that way now I guess
He just read something made his face turn blue
Well I got nothing against the press
They wouldn’t print it if it wasn’t true

If you want to know about the gay politician
If you want to know how to drive your car
If you want to know about the new sex position
You can read it in the sunday papers, read it in the sunday papers

Sunday papers don’t ask no questions
Sunday papers don’t get no lies
Sunday papers don’t raise objection
Sunday papers don’t got no eyes

Sunday papers don’t ask no questions
Sunday papers don’t get no lies
Sunday papers don’t raise objection
Sunday papers don’t got no eyes

Read all about it, sunday papers
 

Attachments

  • pic_289715001186867624.jpg
    pic_289715001186867624.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 12
He probably doesn't have an iPod either, reading the blurb (it's not really even an article) I get the sense he hates those hip iPod kids too along with everyone else.
 
I think we are all in agreement. He might just as well have written about people who buy postage stamps instead of text message recharge vouchers. The content of his ramblings is irrelevant - his job is to write some arbitrary essay that will get the public to buy the product. That doesn't make it good, accurate, or even interesting.
 
You know, I suspect this guy mostly wants attention, and he appears to be getting it here.
 
Pretty sure this says it all.
Steven Wells is not a journalist

Some folks are natural born assclowwwns that are starved for attention.
The internet has enabled them, is all.

Moronitude does not wash away when they take a bath.
For that matter brillo pads and a pressure washer won't wash that off of some folks.
 
Well, for all his BS, he did direct the audience t a couple of good articles.

One of them from the NY Times pretty much sums up my experience with my Ipod and the differences as to why I love vinyl.

Quote: "No longer can they use a click wheel to sample songs from Miley Cyrus, Nas, Black Sabbath, John Coltrane and the Scissor Sisters within minutes. With vinyl, listeners cede control to the artist. They let the music wash over them, in the original order of songs, at the original pace. “I have a ton of music on iTunes,” Mr. Karoly said, “but with that music I get A.D.D. really quick. With my LPs, it’s like reading a book as opposed to clicking through articles on Yahoo.”

So I suppose there was a bit of merit to his ramblings.
 
Richardless?

Mr Wells Neighborhood?

I could be mistaken, but anyone so starved for clickage is clearly a richardhead.

No offense to folks named Richard. I know a couple of regular folks named Dick.
lol
 
At the worst he's just Andy Rooney with a keyboard instead of a TV camera. Except Andy Rooney would have talked for too long about why he's happy with his scratchy records and hates iPods. "Who needs 5000 songs in their pocket, anyway? I pick out what I want, and carry the wind-up Victrola with me. Less room for surprises that way."

For what it's worth, I found it to be more than a bit tongue in cheek. Or, rather, 'cheeky' as they say over there.
 
Back
Top Bottom