• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Blue Glow

Of course, there's other things that glow blue besides tubes:

37182

Expensive water heater!
 
You have to be near the amps(2-3') to see the blue glow. From the listening spot they look just like any other tuber glowing.

Now this glow is bad...

PC240084.jpg



-Vic
 
This particular 8080DB was "rehabbed" and wood veneered by Merrylander, a first class job. Taking into account cosmetics, function, and sound quality, I would rate it a very, very close third to my Yamaha CR 2020 and Marantz 4270. A lot depends on which speakers with which I match it. It drives the BA A150 speakers with a better sound than the Yamaha but the Yamaha does a better job with the Polks. I had it upstairs at one point driving a pair of Original Large Advents and found that combination produced excellent, tough to beat sound. I rate it very highly overall and the only unit I have that has a clearly superior sound to my ears regardless of speakers is my Altec 345A amp. Hope this helps.


Thanks for the reply archie. ! have 3 Sansui 8080db,s and they are top dogs at my house. I currently have a Yamaha cr-3020, totally restored Marantz 2325, a Sansui 9090db, 2 Sansui 990db,s and many more. I have had a Pioneer sx-1980,sx-1250 and the list goes on. I find that the Sansui 8080db blows them all away on my Klipsch speakers. I also have a Sansui 8080db hooked up to my Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2tl,s which they told me wasnt enough power but it simply sounds amazing with the Polks too !
 
Thanks for the reply archie. ! have 3 Sansui 8080db,s and they are top dogs at my house. I currently have a Yamaha cr-3020, totally restored Marantz 2325, a Sansui 9090db, 2 Sansui 990db,s and many more. I have had a Pioneer sx-1980,sx-1250 and the list goes on. I find that the Sansui 8080db blows them all away on my Klipsch speakers. I also have a Sansui 8080db hooked up to my Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2tl,s which they told me wasnt enough power but it simply sounds amazing with the Polks too !

I can fully appreciate how good the 8080DB must sound through a pair of Klipsch. I've not heard the Polk SDA-SRS but the 10A's I have are colored toward the bass and responds better to a neutral amp, less so to a Sansui.
BTW, nice collection you have.
 
Well Jim, you've answered my curiosity about the relative orange-ish glow of individual tubes. And I didn't have to ask.
 
Back
Top Bottom