• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Blue Point Stylus with AR XB Turntable questions

whereismyhat

New Member
Hello all,

First post here. Fairly new to turntables, I just had a couple questions. I inherited this Acoustic Research XB turntable from my uncle. It has a Blue Point stylus on it, model number unmarked, simply says Blue Point (pics attached).

The stylus is skipping all over the record so I thought it might be a question of force so I got a simple force guage and tried 1.8-2 grams of force as seemed to be common with the present Blue Point stylus (stylii?!). It is a little better but is still skipping around/repeating. I'm thinking the stylus might have partially broken off or something...hardly looks like it's there, but now I'm forgetting how big my previous turntable stylus were.

I'm wondering if maybe it's the stylus itself that's the problem, or how I might determine this. I do have a magnifying glass though not here where I am...

If you do think it's the stylus, any recommends for a replacement?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_2127.JPG IMG_2128 2.JPG
 
Register to hide this ad
PS the camera on my phone couldn't zoom in to the stylus at night now. Can upload something better in daylight tomorrow probably.
 
Looks lie you have the P mount Blue Point version using a 1/2 mount adaptor. its a Moving coil , so no user replaceable styli for it. You would have to get it retired
if indeed the stylus is missing.

Did you try cleaning the stylus with a stylus brush?

From the blurry second pic it look likes its not there, but har to be sure without a better picture.

But there is a re tipper on the bay that was a member here.

Here is a post of his there with your exact cartridge in question..

Click on picture to take you there.




And welcome to AK !!!!


Athanasios
 
Looks lie you have the P mount Blue Point version using a 1/2 mount adaptor. its a Moving coil , so no user replaceable styli for it. You would have to get it retired
if indeed the stylus is missing.

Did you try cleaning the stylus with a stylus brush?

From the blurry second pic it look likes its not there, but har to be sure without a better picture.

But there is a re tipper on the bay that was a member here.

Here is a post of his there with your exact cartridge in question..

Click on picture to take you there.


And welcome to AK !!!!


Athanasios


Much appreciated!! Glad to be with ya!

Yeah I did clean it wish a stylus brush. I think you're right, my stylus looks like a bit of a nub compared to the pic you provided.

Great link for the re-tipping! May very well do this...

Thanks for the help, I'll try to get a better view of the stylus--

Dan
 
Back
Top Bottom