• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Blues questions from a newbie

mjgillen

Active Member
Hello All, new to Blues and have some questions. I just bought my first Blues CD, Stevie Ray Vaughan's Texas Flood, and I really like it. I also was listening to iTunes Radio on my iPhone and just happened upon "I'd Rather Go Blind" by Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa which drove me nuts and I ordered the LP. And I ordered "New Day Yesterday", and a couple more SRV CDs. So I'm hooked. I also like old Allman Brothers, and Jimi Hendrix. I'm wanting to listen to more of this style of blues. Here's my questions:

1) Does this "style" have a name?

2) Is there a good "Blues Forum" like AK but focused on Blues or just take my questions here and enjoy the AK camaraderie?

3) Can someone suggest a good Blues radio station or daily/weekly show I can listen to and/or record? There's a weekly show here in San Diego however I can listen to anything on the web. Looking for options.

Thanks all!
Michael
 
Register to hide this ad
It might help to read the Wikipedia articles on Electric Blues, Memphis Blues, Texas Blues and British Blues. Maybe texasbluesradio.com would interest you, too. If you like Beth Hart, check into Susan Tedeschi, Angela Strehli, Lou Ann Barton, Carolyn Wonderland.
 
KMHD, the local Jazz station here in Portland has several good Blues shows throughout the week. Check out their schedule here: http://www.kmhd.org/schedule.php

Also, KMHD is the best Jazz station I have ever heard so you might want to just stream some the Jazz programs as well. They have a huge vinyl library and DJ's that bring their own music in to supplement the already great library they own.
 
our local NPR station runs a good blues program on Fri and Sat nights... don't know if the same programming applies nationally, but might be worth a shot

artists to check out... Ray Lamontagne, Michael "Iron Man" Burks, Gov't Mule, John Scofield

good luck with your exploration
 
Fat Possum Records has some real raw, dirty blues artists in their stable. These are old guys that have spent years playing beer joints and road houses. You can pick up sampler CDs on Amazon for next to nothing. You can also try Buddy Guy who had a mutual admiration going with SRV.
 
A lot of what you are listening to is more Blues/Rock and Texas Blues oriented. On "I'd Rather Go Blind" you need to hear Etta James's version on Chess at least once in your life before you pass on.
 
A "must have" is SRV's Live at Montreaux version of the song, Texas Flood. Will absolutely blow you away.
 
If you want to hear "old style" blues, give a listen to Rory Block. She's original, she's not very commercial, and there's nobody sounds quite like her.
 
forgot a good one in my earlier post... JJ Grey & Mofro... good tunes... "florida swamp rock" is their definition of their style...
 
Ronnie Earl
Melvin Taylor
Luther Allison
Tab Benoit
Lonnie Brooks
Paul Butterfield
James Cotton
Lonnie Mack
Derrick Trucks
Albert King
etc. etc. etc.

cubdog
 
Seems many blues fans get introduced to the genre by blues/rock groups. Then after finding out where it all came from, they discover its roots. Most all of the 60's supergroups we love so much borrowed or stole from American blues artists. I hope you enjoy the trip...it's like discovering rock and roll all over again.
 
Hello All, new to Blues and have some questions. I just bought my first Blues CD, Stevie Ray Vaughan's Texas Flood, and I really like it. I also was listening to iTunes Radio on my iPhone and just happened upon "I'd Rather Go Blind" by Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa which drove me nuts and I ordered the LP. And I ordered "New Day Yesterday", and a couple more SRV CDs. So I'm hooked. I also like old Allman Brothers, and Jimi Hendrix. I'm wanting to listen to more of this style of blues. Here's my questions:

1) Does this "style" have a name?

2) Is there a good "Blues Forum" like AK but focused on Blues or just take my questions here and enjoy the AK camaraderie?

3) Can someone suggest a good Blues radio station or daily/weekly show I can listen to and/or record? There's a weekly show here in San Diego however I can listen to anything on the web. Looking for options.

Thanks all!
Michael

Check out early ZZ Top, Texas gut wrenching, roadhouse blues. If you're digging this style a lot of artists were inspired by Texan T-Bone Walker.
 
Hello All, new to Blues and have some questions. I just bought my first Blues CD, Stevie Ray Vaughan's Texas Flood, and I really like it. I also was listening to iTunes Radio on my iPhone and just happened upon "I'd Rather Go Blind" by Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa which drove me nuts and I ordered the LP. And I ordered "New Day Yesterday", and a couple more SRV CDs. So I'm hooked. I also like old Allman Brothers, and Jimi Hendrix. I'm wanting to listen to more of this style of blues. Here's my questions:

1) Does this "style" have a name?

2) Is there a good "Blues Forum" like AK but focused on Blues or just take my questions here and enjoy the AK camaraderie?

3) Can someone suggest a good Blues radio station or daily/weekly show I can listen to and/or record? There's a weekly show here in San Diego however I can listen to anything on the web. Looking for options.

Thanks all!
Michael
It would be considered Texas Blues which usally dabble's in becomming electric. Try early Johnny Winter maybe The Progressive Blues Experiment album http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrQeIJm41dk
or his debut for Columbia Johnny Winter.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaTonkvG8YM
 
You guys are great! AK rocks as always.

I have enough to keep my ears busy for quite a while - thank you all!

Michael
 
Back
Top Bottom