• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bluray player not cutting sound wise, will DAC help much?

SimplyOrange

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a tube CD player and an older model Oppo BDP-80 BluRay player in my setup. I use an RCA splitter and use the BluRay solely for DVD/BluRay audio. Unfortunately, it sounds pretty sharp and lacking low end. I have a spare DAC in the house (Cambridge Audio DacMagic). Would it be worth hooking up the DAC to the player to see if that would improve the sound?

I was under the impression that the onboard DAC was going to suffice, unfortunately it's not for some reason. I'm using the RCA outs, as my receiver is analog.

If I do use the DAC, should I use a digital wire (ie. Toslink/Coax) or will RCA work just as well?

Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
I would use the optical , but if the digital cable was good quality it shouldn't make a difference.
 
I think you are just used to the tube sound.

Blu-Ray cannot be output to anything other than RCA or HDMI.

Hmmm. . ??? My Sony BDP-S550 has toslink output. And even my cheapo LG BD550 has a wired Digital out for sound. It should work for DVD audio at least.
 
What @botrytis meant is that Blu-ray audio can only be output via RCA analog outputs or an HDMI cable. Blu-ray players also play DVDs and dvd audio can be output via digital optical or coaxial outputs. So, yes @Phase700b, you blu-ray player has a toslink optical out most likely.
 
What @botrytis meant is that Blu-ray audio can only be output via RCA analog outputs or an HDMI cable. Blu-ray players also play DVDs and dvd audio can be output via digital optical or coaxial outputs. So, yes @Phase700b, you blu-ray player has a toslink optical out most likely.

Yeah, I got that after reading between the lines after I posted. HE left out the word "audio". But on the other hand, audio DOES come out of the toslink when playing a Blue-ray movie. So. . . specifics.
 
Maybe this will help clarify things a bit.

Toslink and digital coax will pass basic Dolby Digital and DTS, not the newer hi-rez formats unique to Blu-ray discs. They require HDMI, or analog audio when it's decoded in the player.

Nor will digital coax/toslink pass SACD. Dunno about DVD-Audio.
 
Yeah, I got that after reading between the lines after I posted. HE left out the word "audio". But on the other hand, audio DOES come out of the toslink when playing a Blue-ray movie. So. . . specifics.

The toslink is outputing a down-sampled version of the higher resolution blu-ray audio, that is my guess.
 
Thanks for the information guys. I'll try using a DAC when I get back home and see if it improves the sound any. I plan on playing SACDs so I don't think Toslink/Coax will work.
 
Back
Top Bottom