• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

BMW R60/5 - soon you will transport me.

Yep, years ago, I was braking hard (front and rear brake) to slow down enough to turn into a driveway, and I pulled a little harder on the front brake and mashed a little harder on the rear brake just as I was turning in, locked the rear wheel and went down faster than you can say "heck!" Broke the left foot peg off and ripped a hole in my new blue jeans but that was about it. It was a good lesson.

Murray
 
...
I'll definitely need to take it slower with the bike than I originally thought - I felt comfortable riding in the parking lot - but on the way home I imagined myself in traffic and cringed at the thought.

I think it'll be easy weekend crusing for a few weeks at least before I start commuting on it.

Sounds like a perfect plan, and a perfect timetable!!:thmbsp:
 
I'd look into upgrading the front brake/forks to take a single/double disc(s). At the minimum look into the best brake drums/shoes you can get for it and keep them in top tune and adjustment.

It is not a matter of if you go down on a bike, but when and how you are prepped for it. Consider adding a set of leathers and good boots to all the previous suggestions for your riding safety on the street. A pair kept me from picking out bits of tarmac out of my hide more than once.

Besides, you can look badass/cool with them on. Chicks dig'em.
 
Very cool bike. I have it's older brother, a 1967 R69S. Drum brakes, earls fork and a tractor seat. Unfortunately it is sitting neglected in the garage. I need to get it out and dust it off.

- Pete
 
That is in nice shape. My brother has an R75/5 in his garage that hasn't rolled since the early 90's. Awhile back he said I could have it if I would restore it. I used to love riding it, but sounds like too much time/$$$ for another hobby for me. Enjoy it, and be safe.
 
thanks for the comments guys -

So today was the maiden voyage - I took the bus to the repairshop where it was tuned up - I spoke to the mechanic at length and he told me it was in really good shape.. all he had to do was the basic tuning.. He gave me a few cosmetic bits that the bike was missing too - great guy.

I picked up a full faced helment and a bungy grid for the back seat at the shop and headed out on my first ride.

the bike shop is on Massachusetts ave in Arlington and I needed to ride it to somerville so not too far - Mass. ave is notorious and I was initially a bit apprehensive.

The only issue I had was getting used to first gear - I had to give it a bit more gas than I was used to from the trainer hondas at the safety class to keep it from stalling.

I also forgot that the turn indicators don't autoreset so I was riding about 20-25 mph the whole time with my blinkers blinkin'....

I was lucky to catch mostly green lights and not get stuck in front of some jerk... I made it home and took some more laps around the neighborhood before parking it.

Tomorrow I'm meeting with a buddy and we'll go out nice and slowly somewhere nearby... can't wait!
 
Lou, very pleased and excited for you!

Since you grabbed a helmet, I'm guessing you won't need the one I offered you.

Good choice to go full-face!

Somerville to Watertown makes a good drive. Then into Waltham.

I wish you luck and lots of safety, and later this summer, I hope you make the trek to Plum Island and Nantasket Beach/Hull.

You won't be dissappointed!
 
actually deli - I'm still interested in the helmet - I bought a cheap one just to get me started and to allow me to ride home safely. It turns out my helmet size is small. What size is your helmet?
 
Very cool bike. I have it's older brother, a 1967 R69S. Drum brakes, earls fork and a tractor seat. Unfortunately it is sitting neglected in the garage. I need to get it out and dust it off.

- Pete

YEAH BABY! That 69S wants to ride. Sitting is not good for these.

I miss the 1957 R69S I had. Unfortunately my herniated disk make rides longer than about 10 miles nearly impossible.

Best,

Paul :thmbsp:
 
actually deli - I'm still interested in the helmet - I bought a cheap one just to get me started and to allow me to ride home safely. It turns out my helmet size is small. What size is your helmet?

Small. Hopefully it'll fit- it's a top line Shoei full face with minimal hours on it.

I'd be honored for you to have it, and hopefully it'll never need to do it's duty.

But, FYI, the helmet sizes are not consistant across all brands. I've worn a small, a medium, and a large helmet, all fitting perfectly on my noggin. All were from different manufacturers.

Anyhoo, see me about it when you can. Or better yet, measure your head around the forehead right above your eyebrows and big part of the back of yer cranium, and send me the measurement. Then I can tell you if I think it'll fit.

Lou, what kind did you buy?
 
Hey Deli,

I got a BOTL scorpion helmet - it's seems pretty nice but nothing like a Shoei. At the shop, the salesman had me try on different sizes until I could move the skin of my scalp with the helment and my cheeks were chipmunked in - it's relatively comfortable.

I measured my head using a piece of speaker cable - and transferred the measurement to a tape measure... not a very accurate measurement - for what it's worth it was 22.25 in
 
Back
Top Bottom