• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bobbers? What do you use.

VinylHanger

Navigaret ex ironia
I am mainly a fly fisherman, but the season doesn't open for a few more weeks around here above the reservoirs, and below them the rivers are pretty much blown out. So this leaves my daughter and I getting warmed up with planter trout in the ponds and such.

I've always been a skinny bobber fan of the thill type, back east you could get actual porcupine quills, which were way cool. My thought is I can see the strike much easier. It amazes me to see people with the largest round bobber they can find and then wonder why they can't see strikes and we are "hammerin' them as my daughter says. These are fish that sip the salmon egg off your hook on the first nibble.

Any thoughts? I do realize that when salmon fishing and going for big fish in moving water a big bobber is a must. This isn't bobber snobbery as much as it amazes me that we are the only people at the ponds with the skinny bobber. Maybe I'm all wet on this one. :scratch2:
 
Register to hide this ad
What we do around here is to pull some slack in the line between the tip line guide and the next one down. Then hang the bobber on the line there thru just one loop on the bobber. You'll know real quick when you have a hit! Once you set the hook, just remove the bobber and reel the fish in.
That's funny, spell checker is saying bobber is not correct spelling?
 
Hate those round bobbers. Use Thill crappie bobbers when fishing on top, or Thill slip bobbers when close to the bottom. Had some luck with a "Bobber with a brain", but a real pita to use unless you have a dedicated pole.

The smaller the bobber, the less resistance the fish notices.

Mostly, we troll with line counters pulling inline sinkers w a crawler harnesses baited with a crawler & a minnow. Generally use a stinger. Of course, we're not going for trout.

Chas
 
Donno about salmon but am a fan of the skinny thill types too. Tried slip bobbers a few times, I like those too. I basically go as light as I can on the bobber, just enough to keep the bait & sinker floating. Anyway, not like I know a lot. So mostly will be learning from the rest of you on this one. :)
 
I have had good luck in the past using the skinny cork ones from walmart.You thread
the line through the center and it comes with a little peg to adjust depth.Weight it
down so the cork is 1/2 submerged or better.The fish cant feel the resistance and
take it on down."Got him son"
 
Slip bobbers. Shape depends somewhat on the condtions. Some seem to work better in wind and waves, some better on still waters.

Lighted slip bobbers for night fishing, of course.

Key to any bobber fishing is proper weighting so it floats, but just barely. Again, conditions may vary this.
 
Large corkies and a toothpick for a stopper work for me when i do use a bobber.I usually use spinners or spoons but sometimes a large fly or pautzkes under a corkie bobber work well.
 
Back
Top Bottom