• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bookshelf speaker recommendation

$100 in new market is not much. I think you are better off looking for an used pair of speakers. I have heard that the Pioneers are good but you are still limited by the small woofer (in Pioneers and Miccas). $100 in an used market should get you pair of EPI 100s. The 8" woofers should be good enough without subwoofer until you get an upgrade bug.

That was my thought as well as soon as I read the OP's post. Transcript in my head: "$100 budget? Get on Craigslist and find some KLH Twenty Threes. Oh, he said 'bookshelf'. Scratch that. EPI 100 or similar size Genesis."

Either we're both crazy or great minds think alike :)
 
While the EPI 100's are excellent speakers finding them in decent condition at a thrift store is like finding a needle in a haystack. If you're lucky enough to find a pair factor in the cost of a reform and crossover recap. Prices for these on eBay plus shipping also take them out of the OP's budget. The same scenario would probably exist for any sought after vintage bookshelf speaker recommendation.

I've managed to find two pair locally, one original walnut cabs/butyl surrounds, the other vinyl cabs needing refoam and new cabs, all for about the OP's budget. All about location, and be willing to watch the Craig's regularly and also drive a little if required.

Now even the "nice" ones did require a little quality time with some sandpaper and tung oil (I'm still not quite done with them yet) but IMHO it's worth it.
 
IIRC the surrounds are rubber not foam so no rotting to deal with. The crossover has only one capacitor so it is very easy to replace. I would assume that any vintage speaker would need some work sooner or later but you usually get more for your money.

The very old 100's had butyl surrounds, but later ones used foam.
 
Needing re-foam and new cabs effectively drastically increases the real cost. All you bargain basement shoppers seem to ignore this. I suppose the question is, how much is your labor and time worth. Whatever it is this must be added to the cost.
 
Needing re-foam and new cabs effectively drastically increases the real cost. All you bargain basement shoppers seem to ignore this. I suppose the question is, how much is your labor and time worth. Whatever it is this must be added to the cost.

The "needs new cabs" pair I probably shouldn't even have mentioned. I picked them up for $35 which is about what I figured the tweeters were worth.

The nice pair that I have I want to say I paid $75 for, that leaves me a little money for new capacitors. I had the tung oil and sandpaper left over from another project. If nothing else having something that looks that nice and is a piece of audio history makes it worth it to me rather than some black faux wood Di-Noc wrapped things, even if the sound is roughly equivalent (but those old EPI tweeters really are nice...)
 
I re-foamed a pair of EPI's for a friend recently and they weren't rubber.

I live in my state's largest city and never have I seen a pair in any of the thrift stores I've visited this century.

Would you guys also recommend a Datsun 240Z? :D
 
Agree on the very-hard-to-find EPI-100s, although not as hard to find as a Z that hasn't rusted back to to the Table of Elements.

Also the EPIs may be a tad big for a "bookshelf", maybe same for the heavier original "The Smaller Advents". Suggest maybe KLH-32s as they seem to be undervalued, they are all over the "bay", and, are smaller than either. And sound fine.
 
Hmm, $100 isn't much to spend for a complete speaker. I'm spending that much on just one 5.5" woofer for the speakers that I'm building. If you can bump up your budget, I'd consider the ELAC B6 by Andrew Jones. These are considered one of the best bargain speakers on the market and can be had for under $300 a pair through various vendors. There are many reviews on the net, here's one: http://www.cnet.com/products/elac-debut-b6/
 
Hmm, $100 isn't much to spend for a complete speaker.
That is true and that's the whole problem here. Unless OP goes with new Pioneers or whatever other speakers nearest BestBuy store offers, finding a decent used speakers for $100 is going to take a while. It doesn't really matter if he's looking for EPI 100s or another XYZ speakers. Used gear is available but not in the quantities that electronic stores carry. Increase your budget and your search becomes easier but still not as easy as walking into the store and swiping a card. Now, with that said, you will get more speakers for your money if you go used. So don't get discouraged. Hit local Craigslist, come back to AK and check with us if whatever you found is a good buy and we will try to help. Joining AK and posting in Bartertown is another good option.
 
Agree on the very-hard-to-find EPI-100s, although not as hard to find as a Z that hasn't rusted back to to the Table of Elements.

Also the EPIs may be a tad big for a "bookshelf", maybe same for the heavier original "The Smaller Advents". Suggest maybe KLH-32s as they seem to be undervalued, they are all over the "bay", and, are smaller than either. And sound fine.

Must be a regional thing... I'm swimming in EPI and Genesis speakers, most from Craigslist, some from thrifts, one pair from eBay (price was good, but shipping was a killer - but seller was a short drive from work, so I picked them up.) Last time I saw some other valid vintage suggestions was much less recent... I actually had a pair of OLAs that I picked up at a Goodwill in 2006 or thereabouts, I don't think I've ever seen AR anything and eBay prices for ARs are crazy (maybe worth it, but still way out of budget.) Only KLHs I ever see are Twenty Threes which are a bit large for the OP I'm guessing.

Personally I really, really like good woodwork so I'd rather have my walnut 100s than anything with black vinyl faux woodgrain but if that is not a concern, I'll agree with the recommendation that the Elac Debut B6 seem to be very well regarded. I also have a pair of Energy Pro 3.5 in a spare bedroom and am pretty impressed with them. On my desk at work are some little Cantons, barely bigger than your typical HT satellites, and the sound out of those for the size is truly astonishing. So there's a couple brands to keep an eye out for in your Craigslist/BT trawls... Actually there have been a pair of Canton bookshelves with some cosmetic issues on DC craig's for a while, don't know if they are still there or not, only reason I don't jump on those is I have enough speakers I really don't need to be picking up any more.
 
Agree on the very-hard-to-find EPI-100s, although not as hard to find as a Z that hasn't rusted back to to the Table of Elements.

Also the EPIs may be a tad big for a "bookshelf", maybe same for the heavier original "The Smaller Advents". Suggest maybe KLH-32s as they seem to be undervalued, they are all over the "bay", and, are smaller than either. And sound fine.

What's the difference between the 24 and 32? I haven't ever seen/heard a pair of 32s, I have a pair of 24s and honestly was disappointed in the bass response (yeah, I know, they're small, I like bass, goes with territory.)
 
So I know my budget is low... i am looking for the best bang for my buck, I am sure you can walk into a hifi theatre equipment store with your $1,000 budget and they may think that's not much for a pair of speakers. I am going to do some hunting tomorrow at thrift stores and such, hopefully can find something. Tips I read earlier in this thread will be put to the test. Still listening to my Bose 201 thinking and knowing there will be better things to come soon.

Must be a regional thing... I'm swimming in EPI and Genesis speakers, most from Craigslist, some from thrifts, one pair from eBay (price was good, but shipping was a killer - but seller was a short drive from work, so I picked them up.) Last time I saw some other valid vintage suggestions was much less recent... I actually had a pair of OLAs that I picked up at a Goodwill in 2006 or thereabouts, I don't think I've ever seen AR anything and eBay prices for ARs are crazy (maybe worth it, but still way out of budget.) Only KLHs I ever see are Twenty Threes which are a bit large for the OP I'm guessing.

Personally I really, really like good woodwork so I'd rather have my walnut 100s than anything with black vinyl faux woodgrain but if that is not a concern, I'll agree with the recommendation that the Elac Debut B6 seem to be very well regarded. I also have a pair of Energy Pro 3.5 in a spare bedroom and am pretty impressed with them. On my desk at work are some little Cantons, barely bigger than your typical HT satellites, and the sound out of those for the size is truly astonishing. So there's a couple brands to keep an eye out for in your Craigslist/BT trawls... Actually there have been a pair of Canton bookshelves with some cosmetic issues on DC craig's for a while, don't know if they are still there or not, only reason I don't jump on those is I have enough speakers I really don't need to be picking up any more.

Defiantly a regional thing. I live in San Antonio, not a lot of audiophiles here.
 
Too bad that you can only go for bookshelf, because in your neck of the woods there is a pair of BA CR8's for $80.00, a pair of vintage Realistic Nova-10 (big bookshelf at 24" tall), and if you can afford, a pair of nice Carver Amazing Platinum Towers that are really small and all you need to move them is a step van. BTW, what is it about San Antonio and BA speakers? Now, I remember why I have only visited once my aunt that lives in San Antonio; there is the Riverwalk, the Alamo, and BA speakers, not much else. Good luck at finding what you want!
 
I have a pair of Nova 8's in my basement, garage sale. When I goy home the left speaker was DOA. Turned out the crossover was blown out. Replaced with Parts Express parts, and now great sounding. Buying used is ALWAYS a gamble. I have a pair of Dayton Air speakers, about 60 dollars a pair NEW. Great buy, your choice.
 
To tell the truth, I'd go around looking for yard sales or (if you want to take the risk) craigslist. Today I got a pair of Panasonic SB-66 from the 70s and got it for 10 bucks! Again, the risk part, one of the speakers were seized. Still though, 10 bucks!
 
Back
Top Bottom