• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

"Bookshelf Speaker"

butch4695

Super Member
Just curious . Where did the term "Bookshelf Speaker" come from ? Does it not relate to a group of speakers designed to be placed on a bookshelf ? I always thought that it did and the speakers in that group were designed to be placed on a bookshelf . Just curious .
 
Register to hide this ad
I've always figured it as any speaker not explicitly designed to stand on the floor. Which I guess would encompass your definition.
 
Not sure, but 'most' bookshelf speakers are small enough to fit on a stand and move around without getting a hernia. I guess they needed to separate floor standers from smaller ones? Its a guess.
 
Believe it arose with the advent of the air suspension speaker, which had a radically reduced cabinet size compared to the behemoth horn-loaded or infinite baffle designs that preceded it. 'Bookshelf' was a market differentiator - for the first time you could get quality sound from a speaker that you could put on a... bookshelf. Made a nice tagline for consumers to shop for.
 
As others have already stated. I think of it as a compact speaker that needs the aid bookshelf, table or stand to get it at ear level. I have Klipsch RB-81's and they a re 19"h x 9"W x 12"D and weigh close to 30 lbs each. Not exactly large but not really small enough for a bookshelf.
 
Believe it arose with the advent of the air suspension speaker, which had a radically reduced cabinet size compared to the behemoth horn-loaded or infinite baffle designs that preceded it. 'Bookshelf' was a market differentiator - for the first time you could get quality sound from a speaker that you could put on a... bookshelf. Made a nice tagline for consumers to shop for.

Exactly , I always thought that a lot of speakers followed that design . .
 
IIRC, KLH 5 speakers were considered "bookshelf" at the time they were sold. KLH 5 speakers are big.

Probably more a marketing term than anything. These days, I use it to refer to smaller speakers.
 
Back
Top Bottom