• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bookshelf speakers, ≤ $200/pair

Fedallah

Мне надо много кофе
Hey folks. I've been lurking for a day or two, and I'm in need of some speaker recommendations. I'm new to the whole high-end audio thing, but I bought a pair of JVC HA-DX3 headphones last summer and a whole new vista opened up before me.:music:

First of all, some considerations. I am a college student, and like all college students I have no money. I live in a 9'x13' room, and bookshelf speakers are all that will do. I do not have the floor space for a subwoofer, but I am a fan of bass - not the boomy rap-music kind, but I do love picking out basslines from songs. I listen to '60s/'70s rock music and some jazz. The speakers will be driven by a vintage JVC R-S33 receiver. (I'm not sure just when the thing was made; late seventies sticks in my mind, but it used to be hooked up to an enormous pair of speakers, and it was beautiful).

So, what do you recommend for under $200 a pair? I know that's a very restrictive budget, but bear with me.

I've read about the Polk R15 and the Best Buy Insignia budget wonders, but I was wondering what would be best for a small space like mine.
 
Register to hide this ad
I recommend the Best Buy Insignias, amazing little things they are. They are now $70 a pair though, BB cought wind of their following I guess. Still the best bookshelf for the price.
 
There are easily a few within a $200 budget in my book:

In Order:
1) Infinity Qe (Best budget 8" 2-way out there) very small footprint.

2) Visonik Davids, Braun and ADS like the L300s

3) Paradigm Titans (Second Best Budget), ESM-2, Sound Dynamics

Honorable mention:
Boston Acoustic A60s, Advent/3s, and Minimus 77s (though they suffer from foam rot)
 
Okay, thanks guys. I'll keep an eye out on eBay for the Infinity kit, and if they don't turn up it's off to Best Buy.
 
Anybody considering the Insignias for $80 should definitely think about the Radiient Europas for $99. I have been using a pair of these in my office the last week and for the price, they are a bargain. Nowhere as good as the Axiom M2's they replaced, but quite respectable.
 
I think the cheap Polks don't sound very good. I bought some R-15's and gave them to a nephew. I replaced them with R-25's that don't sound much better. Awhile back I purchased a new pair of Monitor Audio Bronze B-1's off ebay for $ 150 and they are very musical. They don't have much bass, but apart from that the frequency response is very satisfying. As for Paradigm Titans, most don't come with magnetic shielding, so if you plan on setting them next to a CRT beware.
 
Yeah, I'll be checking out the thrift stores in a few weeks when I'm at home again. I've trolled eBay a bit, but this weekend has been busy. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone and keep 'em coming. I'm currently in the process of sorting through all the recommendations.
 
I bought my daughter a pair of used VGC Mission 761i speakers for WELL under $100 (including shipping). They are GREAT little speakers IMO.

Steve
 
I seem to continually find bookshelf speakers from either the thrifts or garage sales. So far I've had Pinnacle PN-5+, Ohm Model E2, AR TSW-210, JBL 2600, Polk Monitor 4, Mission Model 70 Mk II, Cerwin Vega D1 (just got this weekend so I'm not quite sure of the Model number), Bose 301 (first model), EPI M-90, Optimus Pro-77, and the largest being a KLH Model 20.

All are 2 ways and I've not paid more than $30 for the pair. Out of all of them I find the Ohm's to have the most satisfying sound (to my ear). They just seem to have the right mix of low end response and smooth mid/treble.

A close 2nd would be either the AR TSW-210 or the Pinnacle PN5+. I haven't hooked up the klh's yet as I need to make some RCA plug speaker wires
 

Attachments

  • Ohm E2 overhead (Medium).JPG
    Ohm E2 overhead (Medium).JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 70
  • PICT0023 (Medium).JPG
    PICT0023 (Medium).JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 62
  • PICT0026 (Medium).JPG
    PICT0026 (Medium).JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 62
Wow, those Ohms do look quite nice.

Any info on these? I thought they looked interesting. Dynaco, made in Denmark. No model number, though...
 
Fedallah said:
Wow, those Ohms do look quite nice.

Any info on these? I thought they looked interesting. Dynaco, made in Denmark. No model number, though...

:thmbsp: :thmbsp: :thmbsp:

Dynaco A25. Get those for cheap, and there's very little possibility of being disappointed!

Not the most extreme low bass, but what bass they do have is VERY nice. Easily gets down to 45 Hz.

Other good speakers in that same size range- EPI 100, Advent 4, or Genesis 1. All have ardent fans!

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Fedallah said:
Hey folks. I've been lurking for a day or two, and I'm in need of some speaker recommendations. I'm new to the whole high-end audio thing, but I bought a pair of JVC HA-DX3 headphones last summer and a whole new vista opened up before me.:music:

First of all, some considerations. I am a college student, and like all college students I have no money. I live in a 9'x13' room, and bookshelf speakers are all that will do. I do not have the floor space for a subwoofer, but I am a fan of bass - not the boomy rap-music kind, but I do love picking out basslines from songs. I listen to '60s/'70s rock music and some jazz. The speakers will be driven by a vintage JVC R-S33 receiver. (I'm not sure just when the thing was made; late seventies sticks in my mind, but it used to be hooked up to an enormous pair of speakers, and it was beautiful).

So, what do you recommend for under $200 a pair? I know that's a very restrictive budget, but bear with me.

I've read about the Polk R15 and the Best Buy Insignia budget wonders, but I was wondering what would be best for a small space like mine.

Look on ebay for a cambridge soundworks model 6. Still a hard speaker to beat, and most times at less than a 100.00.:thmbsp:
 
How big can you go? "Bookshelf" tends to mean different things to different people. If 20"H x 12"W x 9"D isn't too big for you, the Smaller Advents have excellent bass and are usually available on eBay for <$100, including shipping. Be advised, though, that they may need refoaming and are 4 ohm speakers. KLH 32s cost less, are a little smaller and a little less bass-rich but have cloth surrounds, meaning you don't have to worry about refoaming them. If you find either one of these in a thrift for $20 a pair, grab 'em.
 
I'm bidding on a pair of Advent/3's right now via eBay, though the likelihood of me winning anything via auction is a bit slim. There seem to be quite a few people out there who want these old speakers more than I do.

How much does refoaming cost? It doesn't sound terribly difficult, but where does one get the parts?
 
Back
Top Bottom