• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bosak in Custom Cabinet

Yes Tox, sometimes my younger 80's kid refers to the woofer as a sub. I discovered 12's and 15's only as subwoofers when I was young in 90'. Now i'm discovering the beauty of music with 12" woofers playing a broader range and still incorrectly refer to them as subs.

Quiet, I'm going to hope that I have the shiny dust caps. I'll get a flashlight and try to see what's behind there.

Biggles, would you mind explaining the mix-mash of drivers? Is the date code for 1958 mids earlier than the other drivers?

You don't want the shiny tweeters, those are the 1950's paper cone tweeters. They die around 8k. The Y tweeters start to die around 10 to 12k, a bit better and smoother response. Especially with the 104T upgrade.

My reference to the mishmash of driver is that they're not from the same time frame. At the moment, we don't know which tweeters you have. The cover for the magnet on your woofers are the later 1960's. So, I'm assuming they are from that time period, could be from the early 70's. If you grab a phillips screw driver, you can quickly remove the cover over the back of the magnet on the woofer. Stamped directly onto the magnet is a date code. That would be useful, but it's not necessarily required. The mid is from the 1950's. It has a paper cone vs the later versions that had an aluminum cone. Those old mids are dated, but they do well enough. The later aluminum versions will deliver a more precise, clear presentation is all.

Biggles
 
The Z tweeters are so darned rare, come up so seldom, I don't mention them. They don't need the Zobel network in the Tobin 104T schematic. The Z tweeters can be problematic depending on when they were built. NEAR kept veering off track and causing manufacturing issues. Rudy had to come back and set things straight. There are specific dates to stay away from.

Just to expand on a few of Biggle's excellent points.

The Z tweeter uses a different cone design than the Y. Both the Y and Z are aluminum-cone drivers, to contrast with the paper-cone X. The cone design for the Z, unlike the Y, is a curvalinear design and it was more difficult to manufacture.

Like other metal-cone drivers, the Y and Z have ringing issues—i.e. circular waves bouncing back and forth on the cone—not curable by changing the surround. Some of you may have seen my warnings about the B-209A relating to ringing. A surround change was the large improvement made for the first aluminum cone B-209A, which required a special external latex damping ring, long since deteriorated, yielding its surround-damped successor the B-209B and descendents Bc and C. Ringing is why the aluminum cones of the Bozak divers—B-200Y and Z, as well as the B-209B/Bc/C—are all sprayed with black latex, most commonly seen in its degraded, flaking form. (The paper-cone drivers, again, have silver dust caps.)

To further address the ringing issues a piece of latex foam was placed underneath the dust-cap of the Y and Z tweeters; this, too, will have degraded and disintegrated. Changes in foam between the Y and Z may contribute to different effects from deteriorated foam. So it may not all be manufacturing in the sense of cone misalignment or other physical errors.

A few years after the introduction of the Z tweeter Bozak's internal quality control apparently suffered serious problems, and many of the drivers from that period had quality issues, but the Z was reportedly particularly bad. (This was related to me by a former Bozak employee, confirming Pat Tobin's comments. No, it wasn't Bob Betts.) The deterioration in quality of the Z tweeter is the problem to which Biggles alludes. Early ones from 1974 are reportedly fine; later units manufactured towards the end of Bozak's existence are often reportedly defective.

I have also been informed of a further issue with the Z tweeter: certain manufacturing dates, likely the early ones, are slightly more efficient than the Y, itself unbalanced (higher SPL) with respect to the other drivers, which means the Z may be out of balance with the other drivers,; the L-pad modification may be useful for better balancing. I do not have any Z tweeters in my Bozak stash so I can't test this.

Nearly all cone tweeters have a rise in impedance with frequency, so the Zobel can be useful for just about any speaker design. I am unaware of anything in the Z design which would tame that rise. But, again, I do not own any Z tweeters so I can't verify this.
 
One shouldn't assume the original builder knew what they were doing and gauge the drivers by the way the crossover is configured. Especially since they used fiberglass batting instead of Rudy Bozak's choice of 1" 100% Cotton Tufflex (Tufflex is no longer available). And the glaring absence of Rudy's secret weapon, the swinging cotton curtain.

^^^^^What he wrote. I cannot strongly enough second this diagnosis.

The use of fiberglass is not what an infinite baffle requires; the entire backwave must be lost which is the magic of the curtain. The fact that ordinary fiberglass was used, suggests work by an integrator who purchased drivers and installed these a cabinet without understanding the Bozak philosophy. Given only a few manufacturers offered infinite baffle, it would have made sense for an integrator to say "oh, why use Tufflex or cotton batting, I have fiberglass!" and forgo the internal design which makes a Bozak a Bozak.
 
Wow Retrovert! That is a really interesting history on the Bozak tweets. I can't see throught the grille, so I'll have to wait and decide if I remove the woofers or not.

I had no idea what I was buying, but the history of the Bozak story is very interesting. So many high remarks for great sound quality mixed with comments of questionable components and consistency. What's more interesting to me is that as soon as I hooked these up to my receiver, I thought they sounded extremely good and I couldn't believe it. I've had some great JBL's and K's in the past and I would put these right up there, although they have a much warmer sound. I was also surprised at how loud these can get. They're set up with a Marantz 2500 and of course it sounds great, but a lot better than I expected. Then I read that Bozak and Marantz knew each other? That's just makes it more interesting.

I'd definitely like to replace the pink bat with something closer to the Tufflex. Since it's not available, what would you recommend? And if anyone has a pic of the "cotton curtain" I'd be interested in adding it too.

I'm still on the fence if I recap or not.

This is such a wonderful adventure. Thanks to everyone for the comments, history, and suggestions.
 
I'd definitely like to replace the pink bat with something closer to the Tufflex. Since it's not available, what would you recommend? And if anyone has a pic of the "cotton curtain" I'd be interested in adding it too.

Tufflex is a reconstituted cellulose, so cotton batting will work. Biggles has extensively written about this for relining his cabinets.
 
Back
Top Bottom