• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bose 141 series II fullrange single driver bookshelf speakers & subwoofer suggestion

bob412

Active Member
I purchased a pair of these recently and I really do enjoy their sound quality . Nice and spacious soundstage , these things are great for vocal music , small ensemble jazz and chamber music . They even do classic rock but at sane levels , around 75-80db . They have a nice , wide soundstage for such a tweeny weeny speaker system and image like crazy . Anyway I was thinking about adding a small subwoofer to help augment the low end response . Some of the other music I listen to wouldn't suit these and they need help on the low end . I hooked them up to a Bose AM 5 bass module and it was an immediate disaster as far as the spaciousness I like about the 141's . It just completely wiped the soundstage away . I want to add a subwoofer but don't want to disturb the strengths of this speaker . ??? Bose doesn't publish bass specs for their speakers . Is anybody using the Bose 141's with a subwoofer ? If so what is a good , cheap subwoofer to mate with these and what would be a good crossover frequency from the Bose 141 to the woofer . Comments appreciated .
 

Attachments

  • bose 141 series II.jpg
    bose 141 series II.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 26
Register to hide this ad
You probably figured this out by now, but the Acoustimass bass modules are not really subwoofers. The AM systems actually cross over pretty high, at 200hz, and they probably have a decent amount of output above that as well. You want something, as suggested above, with an adjustable crossover. I'm not familiar with the 141, and Bose doesn't publish speaker frequency response specs, but I'd venture to guess that it's flat down to at least 100hz, so I'd start there and work my way down the frequency range until something seems like it's missing (a frequency generator app can be very helpful in this regard).
 
You may want to try a Cambridge Soundworks passive woofer module. I see them show up in thrift stores for very inexpensive prices. The woofers roll off around 50 hz on the low end and 140-150 hz on the high end and would be better match than the Acoustimass modules that reach up into the high 200+ range.
 
Back
Top Bottom