• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bose 501 questions

KCguy33

Active Member
Hello,
I know that there are very mixed opinions about Bose speakers, but I got a pair of 501's yesterday to see what they would sound like. I figured it was worth a try, considering that they are in good shape and were $50. I have a couple questions about them though:
1. I thought that most of the Bose speakers had a "series" designation, such as series IV or something like that. These speakers don't have any such marking, it just says "part 1 - left" and "part 2 - right" on the back. It does have the manufacture date as 1977 though. Anybody have an idea why these don't have a "series" listed?
2. I know that the Bose speakers require some specific positioning in a room. Anybody know what the best way to set these up is? I know that those dials on the top of each cabinet have something to do with it, but I'm not sure exactly what they mean. I guess I could use an explanation of what they mean too.

Thanks!!!
 
Register to hide this ad
As I recall from having rebuit a couple of these models they were as you described. The later version had a dial on top that would move a plastic vane that would direct the tweeter sound to a differant location. These were usually used as end tables or musical furniture, a 4 ohm, 10" woofer, 2.5" cone tweeters, 2 way, 3 speaker system. The early version didnot have the tweeter directional vane in it. They were OK for what they were in the day.

Here are pics of the older model.
 
1. Probably original - since there was no series number.
2. I think you'll get the most out of these speakers if you do not place the cabinet so close to the side walls. I have a pair of 601s that I like a lot.
 
I used a flashlight to try to peek through the grill cloth on mine, and it looks like there is only one tweeter. Does this sound right? The 501's in DC270's pics above clearly show two tweeters, and his don't appear to have the directional dials on the corners. Any idea what this means?
 
OK I was completely wrong, just had the wrong angle to spot the reverse facing tweeter. They have two tweeters in each cab. I know there's a lot of talk about replacing the surrounds on the woofers for these, but I don't hear any popping or distortion when I turn the bass up a bit. I don't really want to take those grilles off (i removed one side section, and realized how annoying it would be to get them back on). Is that the only way to tell if the surrounds need replacing?
 
I refurbed a set and never again.
The grilles are held on with literally hundreds of staple and are a major pain to remove. I believe that there are two tweeters angled in there, but don't recall the vanes. After refoaming and replacing a tweeter, I was unimpressed by the sound. Not good, not bad, just there.
Probably one of my least effective refurbs as the work WAY outstripped the reward.
But YMMV...............:dunno:
 
Andyman is correct, a major PITA the grills are. I just had a couple of weeks to kill so I totally rebuilt the ones I had, new white (removable) grill material, refoamed woofers, real wood veneeer, etc. Cabs turned out very nice but the sound was typical Bose "direct reflecting" technology.....the jury is still out there on tht one!
DC
 
Back
Top Bottom