• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bose 601

Surfacetension

Well-Known Member
Don't kill me , I have Altec 14's and as far as I'm concerned they are the last speakers I will ever have , But on my other setup I have a pair of Bose 601's that I bought new and for some reason I just like the sound, Back them I bought a pair of 901's but took them back to get the 601's anyone out there with any opinions on Bose? or 601's , I never see any around
 
Register to hide this ad
No need to apologize. Those 601s aren't bad. The problem with Bose is not that they make crappy speakers. It's that the bang for buck is not quite in line. Bose is able to charge more than they should for comparable performance because they employ slick marketing tactics. That said, as long as you are buying your Bose speakers used and are getting a good deal then more power to you.
 
I use Bose 601/I + Sansui 9090 and Bose 901/III + Sansui 990DB.

Both combinations sound different, of course, but in my ears both very attractive.
 
The early 601s are very nice speakers. I wasn't too impressed by the series IV 601s though. With that said, it seems four positive remarks about Bose speakers is more than this forum can handle, the Bose bashing morons should be along shortly........ :smoke:
 
I had a pair and their sound was very positioning dependent. Have them in the right spot and they sounded fairly decent for what they are. Have them in the wrong spot?
 
The early 601s are very nice speakers. I wasn't too impressed by the series IV 601s though. With that said, it seems four positive remarks about Bose speakers is more than this forum can handle, the Bose bashing morons should be along shortly........ :smoke:

I hardly encountered Bose bashing in THIS forum, it is a forum that attaches great importance to civility. Violation is strictly prosecuted by the administrators of AudioKarma.
 
I have a set of series I 601s that I rotate with my Sansui 9090 too. Nice sounding speakers! Good bass and efficiency. The four tweeters make for a nice soundstage.
 
Don't kill me , I have Altec 14's and as far as I'm concerned they are the last speakers I will ever have , But on my other setup I have a pair of Bose 601's that I bought new and for some reason I just like the sound, Back them I bought a pair of 901's but took them back to get the 601's anyone out there with any opinions on Bose? or 601's , I never see any around
I've had quite an interest in the 601, particularly the series II. I own a pair of butchered 501 and a pair of 901 Series I. The 901 really must be used with the EQ, but even then there are limitations. I'd like to recap my EQ some day since it is roughly 40 years old and I bought the speakers and EQ used. One factor that is undeniable, you can move to almost any part of the room they are in and the sound is the same, and that is hardly a bad thing. Some music lends itself well to these speakers, some not so.

I'm not disappointed in the least with them, but I am more selective of what I listen to with them. I have 8 pairs of speakers hooked up to two receivers, each having a CD and TT connected. I listen to different music selections on different speakers and sometimes it's actually fun picking out the subtle differences. Each has it's own strengths and with my total investment in all my equipment in the neighborhood of under $100 I'm pretty pleased. If I could just get a pair of Infinity QLS speakers I think I would be quite content.
 
I once had a pair of 601 Series II that I bought from my brother to help him out financially.
I wasn't expecting much from them, but actually found them to be rather enjoyable to listen to.
 
I have a pair of 601 II and they are fine speakers, especially with classical and jazz. I am the original owner, thank you employee purchase plan!!! :-)
The late 70's thru mid 80's Bose were high fidelity speakers and competitive with other speakers of the era. I sold them for 8 years and they sold well, at a premium price. The first Accumass system and the 101 seemed to change the direction of the company's products. The later series of the 601/301/501 were not as impressive IMHO. The initial series through III are desirable. All will need refoaming though.
 
The original Bose 601's were nice speakers. The dual woofers and four tweeters did make for a nice soundstage. The next Bose 601's still using the dual woofers and four tweeters had the tweeters in slightly different configuration. The top sides of the enclosure were more open and while not as attractive I thought had more balanced and open highs.
 
Back
Top Bottom