• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bose 901 problem repair.

asking you

Active Member
Hi guys, i have a pair of series vi bose 901,and one of them have a problem, it seems is the speaker terminal problem which can make the sound of all driver becomes crap and boomy sound. does anyone know how to tear the speaker terminal out and how to change it?of couse if can, i want change the inside wiring too, what cables can fit inside them,how to change it?
*Sorry for my bad english..
 
Register to hide this ad
How did you determine that the problem is the terminals? It sounds more like it would be a problem with your amp or equalizer. Have you tried switching left and right speakers to see if the problem stays with the speaker?
 
How did you determine that the problem is the terminals? It sounds more like it would be a problem with your amp or equalizer. Have you tried switching left and right speakers to see if the problem stays with the speaker?
Yes,i did,and I open the driver out and touch the speaker terminal,the sound becomes fine,but after I install the driver back,and after very high volume,the problem comes back.
 
From my experience, the speaker terminals are connected to the bottom of the cabinet with nuts on the inside. So, remove 1 or 2 drivers that will give you access to the terminals and retighten the nuts. Once done, that should solve your intermittent problem. As for replacing the speaker wire , I believe it is a solid core wire and soldered to the drivers. Not going to be easy and likelihood any real improvement is negligible. I would put my efforts and money into the active crossover. I had my series 2 active crossover upgraded with better parts and it made a noticeable difference. Better capacitors diodes etc. Not sure this helps but good luck.
 
Yes,i did,and I open the driver out and touch the speaker terminal,the sound becomes fine,but after I install the driver back,and after very high volume,the problem comes back.

You said, "Yes, I did" and then went on to a different topic. The answer to the question is important. Also, please describe what amplifier you're using with the 901s and how the Equalizer is connected.

When you say, "after very high volume", please describe what is meant by that. I'm willing to bet there's nothing wrong with the speakers if the terminals themselves are tight. You would likely have an amplifier problem or you're just driving too hard and the amp is running out of power to drive them.

In other words, if the speakers sound fine at low volume, the wires to the terminals are installed properly and the speakers then begin to act up after running them hard - don't run them so hard.

Cheers,

David
 
You said, "Yes, I did" and then went on to a different topic. The answer to the question is important. Also, please describe what amplifier you're using with the 901s and how the Equalizer is connected.

When you say, "after very high volume", please describe what is meant by that. I'm willing to bet there's nothing wrong with the speakers if the terminals themselves are tight. You would likely have an amplifier problem or you're just driving too hard and the amp is running out of power to drive them.

In other words, if the speakers sound fine at low volume, the wires to the terminals are installed properly and the speakers then begin to act up after running them hard - don't run them so hard.

Cheers,

David

He clearly said that the problem goes away when he manipulates the terminals from the inside, then comes back when they're played at high volume. Same topic.

Sounds like a loose connection to me. Tighten the terminals or re-solder, depending on how they're installed.
 
I got that part, Sam. What I'm suspecting is there are a few more facts we don't yet know.

I've seen loose 901 terminals before, which is usually a result of the the lock nut becoming loose. It is easily detected without having to remove a speaker - the terminal will wobble. One of the speakers will, however, be required to be removed to remedy the problem.

What we don't know is whether there's a terminal loose or not nor that the problem follows the speaker when changed to the other channel - this questions wasn't answered.

With respect to the OP, however, his English is better than my Malaysian and I'm sure we're missing some facts in the translation!

Cheers,

David
 
You said, "Yes, I did" and then went on to a different topic. The answer to the question is important. Also, please describe what amplifier you're using with the 901s and how the Equalizer is connected.

When you say, "after very high volume", please describe what is meant by that. I'm willing to bet there's nothing wrong with the speakers if the terminals themselves are tight. You would likely have an amplifier problem or you're just driving too hard and the amp is running out of power to drive them.

In other words, if the speakers sound fine at low volume, the wires to the terminals are installed properly and the speakers then begin to act up after running them hard - don't run them so hard.

Cheers,

David
At low volume also have the problem,when low frequencyof the music comes.
 
From my experience, the speaker terminals are connected to the bottom of the cabinet with nuts on the inside. So, remove 1 or 2 drivers that will give you access to the terminals and retighten the nuts. Once done, that should solve your intermittent problem. As for replacing the speaker wire , I believe it is a solid core wire and soldered to the drivers. Not going to be easy and likelihood any real improvement is negligible. I would put my efforts and money into the active crossover. I had my series 2 active crossover upgraded with better parts and it made a noticeable difference. Better capacitors diodes etc. Not sure this helps but good luck.
But they are all full range speaker,doesnt it?
 
I got that part, Sam. What I'm suspecting is there are a few more facts we don't yet know.

I've seen loose 901 terminals before, which is usually a result of the the lock nut becoming loose. It is easily detected without having to remove a speaker - the terminal will wobble. One of the speakers will, however, be required to be removed to remedy the problem.

What we don't know is whether there's a terminal loose or not nor that the problem follows the speaker when changed to the other channel - this questions wasn't answered.

With respect to the OP, however, his English is better than my Malaysian and I'm sure we're missing some facts in the translation!

Cheers,

David
The terminal is in the inside of the speaker box,i already tighten it but still loose..
 
You said, "Yes, I did" and then went on to a different topic. The answer to the question is important. Also, please describe what amplifier you're using with the 901s and how the Equalizer is connected.

When you say, "after very high volume", please describe what is meant by that. I'm willing to bet there's nothing wrong with the speakers if the terminals themselves are tight. You would likely have an amplifier problem or you're just driving too hard and the amp is running out of power to drive them.

In other words, if the speakers sound fine at low volume, the wires to the terminals are installed properly and the speakers then begin to act up after running them hard - don't run them so hard.

Cheers,

David
my current amplifier is a sherwood rd-8108 receiver,planning to buy a sony ta n333esr,or a harman kardon hk-6800?what do you prefer for sound quality?
 
At low volume also have the problem,when low frequencyof the music comes.

I would suspect clipping, but not in just one speaker. Seems odd.

Could there be a foreign object in one of the drivers that is causing buzzing/noise? It would not be noticeable on high frequency.

I hope you get them working properly, I enjoyed mine, just not the right speaker for me at this time.
 
I would suspect clipping, but not in just one speaker. Seems odd.

Could there be a foreign object in one of the drivers that is causing buzzing/noise? It would not be noticeable on high frequency.

I hope you get them working properly, I enjoyed mine, just not the right speaker for me at this time.
Yes just one,even I change from right to the left,one only give me problem,if I want to change a better quality speaker terminal,what kind of terminal should I buy?Is it easy to replace?
 
It seems like if the terminal were the issue, that would be easy to diagnose. You said that if you remove a few drivers and touch the terminal inside it temporarily 'fixes' the issue. The terminal being loose from the cabinet slightly should not distort the sound, but a weak connection would cause this symptom. Maybe pull a few drivers and check all connections for weak joints.
 
It seems like if the terminal were the issue, that would be easy to diagnose. You said that if you remove a few drivers and touch the terminal inside it temporarily 'fixes' the issue. The terminal being loose from the cabinet slightly should not distort the sound, but a weak connection would cause this symptom. Maybe pull a few drivers and check all connections for weak joints.
Just checked all,and yes its the terminal loose problem,i believe when I playing some heavy bass music,it maybe cause by the vibration due to loose.
By the way,any chance or which type of wire,terminal to upgrade?for better quality sound.
 
Sorry, I have no upgrade recommendations. Just make all connections secure, and the terminals tight in the cabinet.
 
Back
Top Bottom