• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

bose 901 Series I Repair in NYC

BClan13

New Member
Hi all - looking for a big favor here - does anyone know a shop or a person in NYC that can reliably diagnose and fix problems with bose 901s?

I believe I damaged them through some combination of:
1. Cranking the volume with an underpowered amp
2. Some issue with the equalizer having blown capacitors
3. Old age

I believe the problem is a delaminated coil on one of the drivers but I am not sure. My guess would be that the speaer (only one sounds damaged) need the driver replaced. I don't see this being a big job, but I am not confident in DIY as the speakers mean a lot to me.

PM me if you have an ideas please!

Brian
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Hi all - looking for a big favor here - does anyone know a shop or a person in NYC that can reliably diagnose and fix problems with bose 901s?

I believe I damaged them through some combination of:
1. Cranking the volume with an underpowered amp
2. Some issue with the equalizer having blown capacitors
3. Old age

I believe the problem is a delaminated coil on one of the drivers but I am not sure. My guess would be that the speaer (only one sounds damaged) need the driver replaced. I don't see this being a big job, but I am not confident in DIY as the speakers mean a lot to me.

Thanks and feel free to text me if you have any ideas 347 931 4905.

Brian
Own originals myself. The worst, to me, of these buggers is the million staples they used to assemble the grills. I've read all kinds of ideas about removing them, but don't recall anyone ever mentioning how to locate them. What to do? Use a rare-earth magnet. You run that along the material and that bugger will locate every staple every time. Then you need to remove them.

The drivers are easy enough to test, but it helps to have the grills off. I would bipass the EQ entirely. I've downloaded, to my smart phone, various signals that can be used to test speakers. It's cool because it's just a stead "sound", like White Noise, Pink Noise, etc. You run this signal through your amp/receiver at lower volume and use either a empty toilet roll (or similar tube) up to your ear and listen to each driver. If they all sound the same, kick in the EQ and check again. If the problem turns up, you have eliminated the speakers. If you have the EQ on a tape monitor circuit, and you have a second, hood the EQ to the second and see if the problem still exists. If it does then it's a pretty good bet the EQ needs attention. There is a guy on eBay who rebuilds EQ's. Has a lot of positive feedback, including posts here on AK. Many people would recommend the repair anyway since the sonic improvement is quite noticeable to all who have tried the service.

By the way, try NOT posting your phone number. That's really not a safe thing to do.
 
Back
Top Bottom