• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

BOSE questions

tommy nomad

New Member
Hi. I have 2 pairs of 901 VI, and 2 pairs of 901 I, and 1 pair of 301IV.
First question, do I need the Bose EQ, if i'm already using a Soundcraftsman PE2217?
Second, can I mix the 2 different series 901's?
Third, can the 901's and 301's be used together?
I'm using a Pioneer Spec2 power amp, into 4 ohms with the Soundcraftsman PE2217. The rest of my rack is irrelevant. What suggestions do you have as far as mixing styles, and placement?
Thanks. Tom
 
Register to hide this ad
Yes, you still need the Bose EQ's for the 901's. I believe the series 1 and 4 use different equalizer curves.
 
You can use an equalizer to approximate the effect of the EQs, but it will be a lumpier response, since rather than a smooth boost at either end of the spectrum, it will be peaked at each EQ slider's frequency. That may or may not matter at all.
 
My understanding is that the equalizer for Series 1 & 2 use the same frequency response curve, Series 3 & 4, use the same curve, and Series 5 & 6 use the same curve so it would be best to find the correct equalizer for the series that you have.
 
The 301s should not receive any signal with the 901 EQ curve. Probably blow the woofers right out of the cabinet at any appreciable power, considering the ~18dB of bass boost from the 901 EQ.

To Nat's point, the typical eq doesn't have enough boost nor really the optimum band alignment to do what a 901 EQ does. That said, dialing up a big smiley face on the EQ is way better than 901s with no EQ at all.
 
Here's an electronically-measured curve through my 901 Series VI EQ.

The end to end span of the graph is 20Hz to 20kHz so one can ascertain all divisions between considering the log scale.

index.php
 
Back
Top Bottom