• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Boston A-70 vs A-60 woofers

Elberon

Active Member
Hi,

Just picked up a pair each of A-70s and A-40s at SA. The set of four was priced at $20 :banana: Both are series II with the shiny poly woofers. Question: I already have an early of pair of A60s (series I with the round cone tweeter and paper cone woofer) that I really like. I've read around here that the earlier series I 8" BA paper woofers were "better" than the later poly versions. Is there some consensus on that?
Along those lines what do those familiar with the BA A-xxx series think about swapping my A-60 woofers into the A-70 series II? Were the same BA 8" woofers used in both models? Anybody know of a paper cone 8" sold by Boston in a Series II? Possible impedance or cabinet volume issues? I know these are a lot of questions for such an inexpensive speaker but I want the A-70s to sound as good as possible! Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
If you want them to sound as good as possible keep them as-is. The crossover may be set up to work optimally with the woofer in there.

I've had both A70 originals (and rare-is early originals with SEAS tweeters) and series IIs - nominal difference.

As for the A60 vs A70 woofer- I have been told they are different- how, I dunno. And cannot verify this.

The early woofer from the A70 vs later A70- personal preference as to what is better. Same for the A40 I and II. Nominal difference.

I'd keep them stock and never doubt they are excellent performers.


By the way- a70 cabinet size between series I and II changes. It's minor,but still could effect performance...
 
Thanks Deli, I'll just keep them stock (as is) and not over-complicate matters. They're in great condition by the way!
 
Back
Top Bottom