• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Boston Acoustics A-200, help with outrigger details

mrbruce

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Have had a pair of A-200s for several years with makeshift outriggers and would like to do something that is a little more "finished". Considering outriggers from Parts Express or other source.
Can someone with A-200s and original OEM outriggers, provide the overall lengths, including the length of the outrigger behind the speaker?
I understand the speakers tend to sound best backed up close to the wall but can't identify the distance from the photos I've seen. I realize speaker placement in a given room is a significant variable, but I would like to start with the spacing that BA felt was best.
Would also welcome comments from anyone with A-200s regarding any aspect of this model.
Thanks
Bruce
 
Register to hide this ad
My A200s aren't handy but the original outriggers were just strips of oak, sticking out equally between front and back, IIRC.

This. Mine have been missing for decades, but this is my recollection as well.
 
The slats stick out further in front than in back. The slat is 9-3/4" x 1-3/8" x 3/8"

Holes are drilled at 2-1/4" and 6-1/2" from the same end. This should position the piece over the base rectangle and allow screws to hold the slats on the base rectangle. With the holes in the right place and the rectangle base in the right spot the back extension of the slat won't be very long. The front extension is clearly visible in the Oak Tree Vintage pictures. You can see the ball mounts for the grille on the side of the speaker with the longer section of slat sticking out.

An upgrade would be to use the metal bars that are used on the 400 as they probably won't break. I think it is a U-channel.
 

Attachments

  • BA 200 Side view from OTV.jpg
    BA 200 Side view from OTV.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I realize speaker placement in a given room is a significant variable, but I would like to start with the spacing that BA felt was best.

There was no best. BA said to experiment with placement. I had a pair just like the one's in the brochure.

jeff

881.jpg
 
I have found that they like being up against a back wall, but your mileage may vary.
 
Blue Shadow: Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. Am now thinking I will try the heavier steel style you mentioned for use with the A-400s.
The pic helped as well.
Bruce
 
Some stand ideas and sources:
My Magnepan 1.7i and other Maggie models use stands that extend front and back. Screw on back of speaker. There are Magna Riser, Sound Anchors and Mye brands of after market stands made for Maggies. Might be adaptable to yours at a price. I did not see your budget mentioned.
Cat protection fence in way in pic.
16093500724675933407423045849436.jpg 16093501614247856826229208174474.jpg

I had BA model A100 that came with home made custom plywood stands that lifted off floor a few inches and angled speakers back. They benefited from angle, IMO.
 
Last edited:
Like others have mentioned the factory ones are a joke. I thought they were paint stirs when I first saw them.
I would start from scratch and make a base that fits your needs and tastes.
 
Like others have mentioned the factory ones are a joke. I thought they were paint stirs when I first saw them.
I would start from scratch and make a base that fits your needs and tastes.

Well, joke or not, they were perfectly functional. All that's required is to keep the speakers from tipping over. Technically, the speakers don't require giant steel feet for support, and they certainly won't make the speakers sound better, but I get that some may find them unappealing.

jeff
 
Ah the truth now. The dimensions I gave are for some slats I had sitting on the shelf. I had one or two good ones and Bill copied them and made a set. I believe the numbers are from the repops, not the originals. I have originals (at least one or two) on a speaker. I know I had a broken one when I got my A200s and Bill made me some new feet.
 
I had a pair of the A400s, and the feet that came with them were the same as the brackets you put on the wall to hang shelving. They were black and cheap. I would suggest find some color brackets you like at Home Depot or another hardware store and tip them upside down and screw them into the MDF square base. Better than wood. Get a length that you want and done. Cheap as hell. This is a picture of the type of bracket I am talking about, not a good color, just to let you know what I mean.

https://www.amazon.com/Sterling-Dua...RNM2K5SVNW2&psc=1&refRID=5GEPE77CYRNM2K5SVNW2

Check out these pics

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649454604-boston-acoustics-a400-speakers/
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom