• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Both of my Frazier horns are non functional

Caryw

Super Member
Found some MK IV’s in a leaky storage building. Found a tag from a moving company from the 90’s.

Anyway, I recapped these and noticed what I thought was weak highs were actually around 4k coming out of the woofers.

Tore back into them this morning and confirmed both horns are non functional.

Any hope of rebuilding the originals or go with replacements? The second pic is one swipe of the cabs to show how filthy they were
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3448.jpeg
    IMG_3448.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3449.jpeg
    IMG_3449.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 39
Register to hide this ad
Found some MK IV’s in a leaky storage building. Found a tag from a moving company from the 90’s.

Anyway, I recapped these and noticed what I thought was weak highs were actually around 4k coming out of the woofers.

Tore back into them this morning and confirmed both horns are non functional.

Any hope of rebuilding the originals or go with replacements? The second pic is one swipe of the cabs to show how filthy they were
That’s an Atlas Sound PD-30T. I don’t know if you can replace the diaphragms in them, but hopefully I’ve given you something to go on.

My Mark V used University Mid-t drivers. Doubt they would work as well in a Mark IV..
 
That’s an Atlas Sound PD-30T.
LOL That's funny. But, not correct.

It's a 3 x 7 phenolic diaphragm horn tweeter by Heppner, and occasionally Oxford.

PD-30 is a 1-3/8 x 18 threaded PA driver, "T" version has an enormous housing for it's internal 70 volt line transformer. Frazier used many of them on their larger wood and fiber horns. But, not on a 3 x 7 tweeter horn. Stripped down, it's motor assembly is still 3 times the weight and size of what's under the plastic cover of that Heppner tweeter.
 
LOL That's funny. But, not correct.

It's a 3 x 7 phenolic diaphragm horn tweeter by Heppner, and occasionally Oxford.

PD-30 is a 1-3/8 x 18 threaded PA driver, "T" version has an enormous housing for it's internal 70 volt line transformer. Frazier used many of them on their larger wood and fiber horns. But, not on a 3 x 7 tweeter horn. Stripped down, it's motor assembly is still 3 times the weight and size of what's under the plastic cover of that Heppner tweeter.
Good to know. I got that information off an old F.U.G and clearly not from personal knowledge :). Just looked up an image of that think it ‘s huge. Would look more at home sitting on top of a Dixielander.
 
Good to know. I got that information off an old F.U.G and clearly not from personal knowledge
Sometimes, it's hard to get a good sense of physical scale from a 2 dimensional pic.

What's interesting, since you mentioned the Mark V, Frazier indeed changed that model during production. Early versions definitely used a threaded horn/driver combination for the HF while the later and more common Mark V uses a square Motorola piezo.
 
Sometimes, it's hard to get a good sense of physical scale from a 2 dimensional pic.

What's interesting, since you mentioned the Mark V, Frazier indeed changed that model during production. Early versions definitely used a threaded horn/driver combination for the HF while the later and more common Mark V uses a square Motorola piezo.
My pair is really early and had Mid-T HF-4401 (edit due a duh moment) in them. They were painted black and I lost a diaphragm on one, but when I pulled them out I took the paint off, and they were gold like any other University I’ve ever seen.

The drivers in my version are backloaded and the midrange speakers have their own sub enclosure. Would you happen to know how they open up? I didn’t want to tear up the fiberglass that’s wrapped around it without knowing.

Got a replacement tweeter and they sound really nice, but I haven’t had them out in a while. I should have recapped them, but the sheer number of caps was crazy. Not sure what the purpose is to have so many caps in parallel.

I just picked up a pair of Heresy’s yesterday, and will drag the Fraziers back out to compare.

I’ll stop hijacking the OP’s post after this one. Thank for posting OP. I don’t see much about Frazier lately
 
Last edited:
Hopefully you can find some horns that will work.

I have a pair of Frazier Concertos that I need to bring back into rotation.
 
Back
Top Bottom