• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bought a bunch of audio gear.. Phase Linear, SAE..

Tony ray

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a good friend that called me last week about a friend of his that had a bunch of stereo equipment he wanted to get rid of. When I asked him what it was, he wasn’t sure just knew that the original owner of it (a guy we all knew that passed away) had spent alot of money on them and it was supposed to be good stuff. This friend had bought the guys Harley, to help the family out, and the rest was thrown in to clear the house out. He was trying to make room in his garage and the stuff had been sitting in there for over 5 years and not used. He didn’t want to be bothered trying to sell it online. I showed up today and he showed me this shelf that had 7 or 8 pieces on it. Most was 80s and up stuff, Sherwood EQ 460b, a Sherwood PD7288 linear tracking turntable missing the dust cover, a Sherwood dual cassette player and a Kenwood cd changer. I wasnt really interested in those, but told him I might be able to sell it on market place for him but not to expect much for them. Then I saw the stuff I was interested in.

First was a Phase Linear 400 amp, then there was a Phase Linear 700b amplifier, a bunch of radio shack fans apparently to cool the phase linear, a SAE A502 amp, and a BK components pre-amplifier Pro-5. Along with a Stanton L737S cartridge. i was trying to figure out a decent price to pay him to help him out. He was in his mid 70s, has a real nice 69 Camaro in the garage and a bunch of Harleys and was retired just enjoying playing with cars and bikes. Didn’t really give a damn about audio stuff. He did mention that at one time he could have his two tvs on the walls of his shop playing the same channel at same time and something happen and it stopped working. I took a look and ended up spending an hour and a half messing with it and got them working for him. He also had a Yamaha a/v system hooked up for stereo that cuts out and hums at times. He had a 90s Marantz that someone told him the Yamaha was better. Looking up the specs he got some bad advice, so I’m going over next week and redoing his whole system for him, swapping out receivers and changing out speakers. I’m also going to pick up a small dac so he can play his tv and his Sirius from phone through the stereo. When we finally sorted out his tv, I told him I only had $400 on me and I’d have to pick up more to give him what I thought was a fair price. He told me if I promised to come over and sort out the shop stereo for him I could have them for the $400 since I already fixed the TVs. He is a pretty cool guy and I now have a new friend. Anyway I’m pretty sure I did ok, I’m not real knowledge about most of the stuff I bought so if anyone has any advice or info I’d be grateful. Probably going to take it to my tech to go over, especially the Phase Linear stuff (yeah I know Flame Linear!) the rest I need to look up info on. I don’t really need 200&350 watt amps with my speakers, I’m running a Sansui AU-7900 through a set of Braun L810 speakers, and I’m pretty happy how it sounds. I may try out the SAE A502 and hang onto that for a bit.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1272.jpeg
    IMG_1272.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1266.jpeg
    IMG_1266.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1265.jpeg
    IMG_1265.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1268.jpeg
    IMG_1268.jpeg
    267.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1249.jpeg
    IMG_1249.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1250.jpeg
    IMG_1250.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1251.jpeg
    IMG_1251.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1254.jpeg
    IMG_1254.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1262.jpeg
    IMG_1262.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1267.jpeg
    IMG_1267.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
The Sherwood stuff probably all came out of the same rack system. Not much market for it, I doubt it's even worth the trouble of advertising. I'd just bring it to a thrift shop. If the Kenwood works it might be worth keeping if building a new system.
 
The Sherwood stuff probably all came out of the same rack system. Not much market for it, I doubt it's even worth the trouble of advertising. I'd just bring it to a thrift shop. If the Kenwood works it might be worth keeping if building a new system.
Yeah I kinda figured that
 
Many brands at that time did not have DC protection and no equipment was abused more then Phase Linear because they sounded great and with massive power and were never designed for commercial application unless you got one of the very rare Clair Brothers spec'd units. The Grateful Dead replaced their Wall of Sound with PL gear then BGW

We still have Steven Tyler's original early PL400 used for monitors sporting the smaller Dixon meters that is totally bone stock and still works perfectldGl2W4b.jpg20260108_190015.jpg1751640218331.jpgy today

PL gear has never failed me ever, even original 1st series 700 amps. I have had several Adcom and Hafler amps fail me

Now White Oak Audio offers a complete line of audiophile components to bring the PL amps up to date. Perhaps you've heard of the mighty WOPL?

Yeah you should give him more money
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom