• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bought a SONY PS-8750

88gibson

Active Member
Well after clearing out the attic of some unwanted gear I bought another turntable. I convinced Patti that spending an obscene amount of money on another vintage table was okay, as long as I used proceeds from turning some gear. I couldn't resist a Sony Ps-8750. I've read allot about how fantastic these rare tables are. I'm picking this one up locally. She's dirty but otherwise I was told she functions as she should. I'll post pictures when i get her, otherwise here's a link to some info and great pictures!

http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyvault/PS8750/PS8750.html
 
Register to hide this ad
Congrats! Very nice table and was good that you are local so can pick it up. There is a knurled nut below the TA pivot that needs to be spun "up" to lift and lock the TA for transport. This lifts the dual-spike/jewels away from one another. I have a fair amount of literature on the PS-8750, including the service manual.

Generally speaking, the PS-8750 will need some TLC. You can read about the effort EW put into mine on a previous thread in the TT forum, including pictures. Like mine the best with The AT150 and Shure V15VxMR rather than the K-b. YMMV (unless you use my ears;-). Good luck with yours.
 
Congrats! I love my PS-X7. Your table when operating properly will run circles around anything new at 5-10 times the price. Not even knowing what you paid, you scored.

There is a growing subculture of Sony turntable fans at AK.....:thmbsp:
 
Here is a pic of the knurled nut location that Mirko (thank you) sent over when I was having mine transported via the AK Pony Express (thank you JD).
 

Attachments

  • PS-8750 tonearm lock.JPG
    PS-8750 tonearm lock.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 163
There's another that just showed up on eBay. It has some problems, so one of you guys who wants to invest in a parts unit might be able to get it cheap.
 
Thanks for pointing this one out to us. With a reserve of $200, think I'll take a pass. That is way too much for one with those problems. Can't salvage the cosmetically ruined pieces. Too bad.
 
Any update on the Sony PS-8750? I hooked up mine today and it's like reunited with an old friend. Happy happy sound. I've been playing around with many other direct-drive turntables so I haven't listened to the Sony for several months. And today, I have the itch to play with it again and it is still one of my favorite turntables - which makes me no regret in selling off my Technics SP-10Mk2 turntables. The Sony is much smoother and more musical. Good stuff!

I hope you are enjoying yours.
 
88Gibson, AKA Derek, a friend of mine, had to fix the X-Tal lock system on his Sony.

Other than that, he loves it.

His second table is the excellent Mitsubishi LT-30 linear tracker.

He has two young kids now so isn't on much if at all any more.


Love those 8730s!
 
Back
Top Bottom