• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bozak DMS-2000

Boto

Curmudgeon In Training
A friend just got a pair of Bozak DMS-2000 speakers recently from his father. Looks like they were made in 1987. They both look and sound pretty good. The foam is original and intact. As far as he knows the woofers are original. I didn't take out the crossover to check the values, but the leads both come off the same end. Possibly polarized? I haven't found any other information on these speakers. Does anyone have any familiarity with them?
 

Attachments

  • PICT0026.jpg
    PICT0026.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 58
  • PICT0027.jpg
    PICT0027.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
The cabinets for these are pretty unique. When I opened them up to take a look, I found they put the vinyl wood grain on the INSIDE of the speakers. I wonder if that may be a first. I'm guessing that these were made at the end of the existence of Bozak. While they sound good, the woofers are marked "R.O.C." of the back of them. I didn't pull the tweeter to see if it was marked similarly.

Also, does anyone know where I could get the radial caps that these have in them? They are 4.2uf and 5.6uf, both 100v. It may be a pain to try and get an axial one in there.
 
Those were built after Rudy sold Bozak, they were either built in Tarifville or Berlin Connecticut. Not the quality Rudy Bozak was known for. Thats not to say they are not good just not Rudy's stamp of approval Bozaks
 
Those were built after Rudy sold Bozak, they were either built in Tarifville or Berlin Connecticut. Not the quality Rudy Bozak was known for. Thats not to say they are not good just not Rudy's stamp of approval Bozaks

Somehow I think that "D" in the model number stands for digital. Never a good sign.
 
They sound pretty good. However, I hooked them up next to a pair of EPI 100's that I just refurbished. The EPI's blew them away. Cleaner, crisper highs and more low end. Don't get me wrong, the Bozaks sound very good. My friend should be very happy with them. They probably just aren't what Bozak's used to be.

I didn't know they were making them in Tarrifville. That's only 5 miles from me!
 
Owww...Those are some kinda Strange 2-Way Bozaks...Nipper in my Avatar is listening to DMS-2500's...They will Cry & Sing to you...
 
taftville

They sound pretty good. However, I hooked them up next to a pair of EPI 100's that I just refurbished. The EPI's blew them away. Cleaner, crisper highs and more low end. Don't get me wrong, the Bozaks sound very good. My friend should be very happy with them. They probably just aren't what Bozak's used to be.

I didn't know they were making them in Tarrifville. That's only 5 miles from me!

My bad. Taftville a town outside of Norwich. Then they were located on the Berlin Tpke for a couple of years. After that the Bozak name was sold
 
I have a small pile of Bozak literature from the Taftville and Newington era, but those are not mentioned in any of what I have. They look rather far from the original designs and drivers, and actually look rather far even from the later designs.
That doesn't mean they aren't just fine speakers. I believe there is some tendency to dismiss the later Bozak models simply because they aren't the classics that Rudy was involved with. Having heard some of the later versions -- I have a pair of Concerto IIs and have heard some of the others -- I think slagging them without actually hearing them is unfair. (And not every original Bozak design was all that hot, to be honest). I think (if memory serves) Peter Lederman (sp?) who runs Sound Smith was involved as a designer with some of them, and that might give pause to the detractors.
I am surprised that your EPIs blew the Bozaks away -- perhaps they need recapping, or a different amp (my Concertos seem to be a difficult load), or maybe they just aren't that great.
 
I have a small pile of Bozak literature from the Taftville and Newington era, but those are not mentioned in any of what I have. They look rather far from the original designs and drivers, and actually look rather far even from the later designs.
That doesn't mean they aren't just fine speakers. I believe there is some tendency to dismiss the later Bozak models simply because they aren't the classics that Rudy was involved with. Having heard some of the later versions -- I have a pair of Concerto IIs and have heard some of the others -- I think slagging them without actually hearing them is unfair. (And not every original Bozak design was all that hot, to be honest). I think (if memory serves) Peter Lederman (sp?) who runs Sound Smith was involved as a designer with some of them, and that might give pause to the detractors.
I am surprised that your EPIs blew the Bozaks away -- perhaps they need recapping, or a different amp (my Concertos seem to be a difficult load), or maybe they just aren't that great.

My guess here is that they probably aren't that great (but they still are a good speaker). While the highs were good, the bass was lacking a bit. I was running them both off an Onkyo A-5, so I don't think power was an issue.
 
Back
Top Bottom