• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bozak DMS5500 tweeter replacement

Jenkster

When I had talent
Subscriber
I have a pair of Bozak DMS5500 speakers I picked up from a fellow AK'er. They have the 12" B-199 BC woofer, B-209 BC mid (beefy driver) and a Vifa D26TG-05 tweeter. Everything sounds great save for the high end. The highs are just too recessed and flat sounding for my liking, borderline dull. I was wondering if there is a better "drop in" replacement tweeter that would help the highs without having to tweek the crossover? Any suggestions would be appreciated.:yes:
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
On what little I have found on the web, the original tweeter may have been a Peerless not a Vifa.:scratch2: Any Bozak experts, Neal, out there that can confirm or deny that?
 
If I can't get the high end up to snuff I just may part them out?:scratch2: I'm sure the woofers, mids and possibly the tweets are worth more than the speakers as a whole. The cabs are big vinyl covered pressboard with issues. They do have a pretty heavy duty front baffle though.
 
It is not the tweeter it is the cross over.
That is not the tweeter in my DM5500's, mine have the Peerless. I know they are original as I bought them from the 1st owner and he was not the type to change things.
Bozaks have a rolled off sound by design. They never scream at you unless the source demands it.
A modified cross over design exist for the older Bozaks, know as the "Tobin" crossover. It may work for the DMS5500. I have never gotten the cap numbers off the DM5500, so I am not sure how it compares.
I suppose changing the value of the tweeter cap would brighten them up. I am one who likes the Bozak sound. Try running a vintage Pioneer/Yamaha amp on them, they seem to bring out the best in the Bozak high end IMO.
 
Tobin Crossover

I'm a little late to the discussion but as far as I am aware the Tobin crossover pertains only to the Bozak B-209B mid-range & B-200Y tweeter (as found in the older Urban/302 models). Both drivers are aluminum cones and the main issues addressed by this special crossover are 1) the rising impedence of mid range driver (that causes it to overlap too much with tweeter and 2) the fact that the B-200Y tweeter is about 9db hotter than midrange driver.

The details of the Tobin fix can be found elseware on this sight and others.
 
There is also a Bozak DMS 4500W which I own. This model has the 199X, 450X and Peerless 960606. X denotes I do not know off hand. It's smaller (large bookshelf ala OLA) and ported. No clue as to the 5500 tweeters; Vifa or Peerless.
 
Back
Top Bottom