• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bozak LS-300 Speakers

dynacoPAS

New Member
Banned
Hi I bought a what seems like a deal on a set of BOzak LS-300 speakers. THey are a 3 way and listening to them they sound nice. After listening for a a few I took the grilles off and noticed the mids weren't working. i pulled them out to test and they are infact dead. The speakers really do a nice job of reproducing even with a dead mid. They are Bozak b450-c mids. I looked online and they don't seem to be plentiful. I guess its the same mid in the original bozak 302. Are there any LS-300 owners out there? any Akers ever listen to the LS-300. if so do you know of a mid that would replace the original. Any comments or suggestions. Pics are coming soon.
 
Register to hide this ad
If they are the speaker I'm thinking of -- a time aligned ported 8 inch three way, they are a great speaker. My brother uses a pair I bought years ago, and in them, one of the midranges was out, but it turned out the be the tinsel wire, which had a break about half way up, which was not obvious since the cloth kept everything together. The drivers tend to be pretty durable -- that aluminum cone wicks away a lot of heat -- and so its possible that rather than being blown you have either tinsel continuity problems or bad solder joints where the tinsels are soldered. Well worth the effort of checking.
 
I put an ohm meter on the connectors and they did not show any resistance. The suspension seems to be good. I will check the tinsel leads and see if I can find anything wrong. The mids that come from the 8 inch woofer and that aluminum tweeter are nice. It makes me curious to know what they will sound like with working mids.
 
Carefully scrape the top of the insulating paint from the solder joint on the cone where the tinsel meets the voice coil leads. You can then see if the voice coil has continuity (you can also check each tinsel from one end to the other, and this would probably be smart to do before you do the scraping, since if its just the tinsel, that's easy). You may need to reflow those solder joints, which is sort of messy, and requires a light touch.
 
Back
Top Bottom