• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bozak score! Not.

EQmeat

One of the usual suspects
I found a pair of Bozak Urban E-300 on CL for $50. I got pretty excited and drove a few hours to get them. But when I opened them up I got a surprise. It could have been worse admittedly. Inside I found EV 12TRXB which appear to to be in good condition. What should I do now? Are the EVs appropriate for this size cabinet. How do I open the EVs to check their capacitors? I want to try them out but I don't want to damage them.:scratch2:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0745.jpg
    IMG_0745.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0747.jpg
    IMG_0747.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0748.jpg
    IMG_0748.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0749.jpg
    IMG_0749.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 121
Register to hide this ad
Nice boxes, EV's are decent drivers.. for $50,. .you won't get hurt...

Just plug them into a good amp and turn them up.. you won't hurt them.
 
Well, if you had to get something with replacement drivers, you could have done a LOT worse than getting EV 12TXRBs. $50 for a set of those and nice cabs still is a score.

Could have been Radio Shack or Pyle...
 
i am interested as I could put some EV12trxb's in my Bozak cabs,,I like the 12TRXB better.
 
Well, if you had to get something with replacement drivers, you could have done a LOT worse than getting EV 12TXRBs. $50 for a set of those and nice cabs still is a score.

Could have been Radio Shack or Pyle...

Or even Olsons. :thumbsdn:
 
I love my Bozak B302A. I have not heard the EVs to compare. I do see Bozak drivers available from time to time, but not as much as a couple of years ago.

Nice cabinets, though! They would make a very good enclosure for an econowave.
 
I haven't even gotten the grills off yet. I took out the screwstop and bottom but the Bozak logo is attached but I am not sure how. I can not see any thing related to the logo on the inside. I tried to fire up the one I had not disassembled yet and no sound came out. I'll take the back off that one next and do some more exploring. Thanks for for your comments

Definately change the crossover caps. Bound to be out of spec by now. Suggest using Dayton or Jantzen bipolar film caps.

That seems like a good idea. Any idea how to get under the EV's hood?
 
I got into them and rotated the speakers so that horn was dispersing horizontally. I listened to Dexter Gordon's 'Round Midnight and they sounded very sweet. I thought that they were a little shy on bass but that cabinet may not be optimal for the EVs.
Has anyone heard a comparison between these EVs and the Bozaks. I am wondering if it is worth trying to find original drivers for the Urban cabinets.
 
Back
Top Bottom