• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bozak tweeter question (going in Concert Grands)

amante

Active Member
Hi friends, a couple quick questions:

I have two versions of the aluminum type tweeters Bozak made, one seems to have a larger magnet than the other. Is there a critical difference between the two? I'm putting a collection of drivers, given to me, in a couple cabinets my nephew got around to building...Concert Grands! My limited research suggests there is no difference...in fact, Bozak sometimes mixed in the older tweeter type with the newer from what I hear.

Also, some pictures of the interior of Concert Grands show the tweeters have a wood box to protect them, I assume, from woofer waves and other pictures do not have any tweeter box. Is it necessary? I look at these tweeters and damn if I can see how any air pressure can get to them.

Thanks for any help on this. I'm sure I'll have many questions regarding Concert Grands in the future. (FYI, I live in southern Rhode Island.)
 

Attachments

  • tweeter01a.jpg
    tweeter01a.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 29
  • tweeter02a.jpg
    tweeter02a.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 28
Register to hide this ad
The taller version has the alinico magnet. The shorter one has the ceramic magnet. T he ceramic magnet version is just a hair more efficient and has a little more out put in the high frequencies above 6 kHz as I remember. The Tobin mod will work well with either model. Its obvious one is damaged and beyond repair. Audio Classics has some replacements. I would place the ceramics in the middle of the line array with the alinicos flanking on either end of the line array. My Grands have the Alinicos and the 4005 Symphonys the ceramics and I use them together in a 6.0 HT system. The issue I have is the difference in sound between the vertical array of the Grands, and the spherical array of the Symphony being so close to the floor not the difference in magnets.
 
Last edited:
Thanks so much, twiiii, for the information! It helps me as I finally get started on this project. I will follow your advice regarding ceramic and alnico layout. I'm am certain I'll have to acquire better tweeters than I as given. My tweeters are going to be in the vertical array. Next, I will be digging into the final Tobin crossover redesign. Hope to post pictures of the cabinets fairly soon.
 
Back
Top Bottom