• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Brand new Cartridge skipping like crazy: Dual 1009 cartridge swap

braygree

New Member
Hello all,

I picked up a Dual 1009 last week. I fitted it with a Audio Technica AT-VM95C. It played beautifully after set up but i decided to upgrade to an Ortofon 2m red.

After dialing it in to the recommended specs i started spinning. I carefully clean each record before playing, i am meticulous with the tone arm setup and TT leveling, but almost any record i put on will skip at certain points. I have not had this issue while using the lower end cartridges...

Is a "break in" period needed? Is the cartridge not compatible with this TT? Resonant frequency clash?

Any incite would be appreciated as always.
 
Register to hide this ad
Hello all,

I picked up a Dual 1009 last week. I fitted it with a Audio Technica AT-VM95C. It played beautifully after set up but i decided to upgrade to an Ortofon 2m red.

After dialing it in to the recommended specs i started spinning. I carefully clean each record before playing, i am meticulous with the tone arm setup and TT leveling, but almost any record i put on will skip at certain points. I have not had this issue while using the lower end cartridges...

Is a "break in" period needed? Is the cartridge not compatible with this TT? Resonant frequency clash?

Any incite would be appreciated as always.
There was recently a report on the forum about the Ortofon Blue skipping. It turned out it was a (new) defective stylus, after exchanging it it worked fine. Maybe Ortofon QC has some issues (or production, I am not sure there is quality control at this price point).
 
I have set it to 1.8 grams but iv gone up and down the allowed spectrum to try and find a sweet spot where it doesnt skip. No luck so far

But did you calibrate the dial to zero first?

BTW, I would not necessarily consider the Red an upgrade over the conical VM95.

And while it could be a faulty stylus, this would seem to be highly unlikely. One report of a defective Blue stylus does not make a trend.
 
But did you calibrate the dial to zero first?

BTW, I would not necessarily consider the Red an upgrade over the conical VM95.

And while it could be a faulty stylus, this would seem to be highly unlikely. One report of a defective Blue stylus does not make a trend.
Yes i zero out the tone arm to "level" then make my micro adjustment to the desired gram
 
Do you have a scale you can use to verify tracking force? Are you sure cartridge is mounted correctly, with stylus fully inserted? And that there is no debris on stylus?
 
Yes i zero out the tone arm to "level" then make my micro adjustment to the desired gram

If you have one of these, about $10, you won't need to bother floating the arm any more, and accurate to 0.00g.
AAADSFG__30177.jpg

Also what did you use to align the cartridge? This protractor is very simple to use and about $10.
s-l400 (2).jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom