• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Brand New SuperZero 2.1's or Used SuperOne's

JimMcK

New Member
Hi,

I'm trying to decide on bookshelf speakers and I like NHT's quite a bit, but I'm wondering if it's better to get brand new SuperZero 2.1's or a set of used SuperOne's - however old.
Powered by a Rotel from circa 2004. Without a sub. Mostly for music. (all kinds) Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim
 
Register to hide this ad
The first generation(made in USA) SuperOnes are the best IMHO.

I have four pairs so my opinion may be a bit biased.
 
Last edited:
Welcome to AK. :beerchug: Are you old enough to drink? :D

While I love my SuperZeros, without a sub, I'd opt for SuperOnes. Or maybe look for the older home theater towers, like VT-1A's. They're tower shaped SuperZeros, with a 2nd woofer. Same dimensions too. Just taller. I guess they ate their spinach?

Another possibility are VT-2's. Another HT tower, with a MTM array and a side mounted 10" sub. There's also a sort of SuperOne tower, with a bottom mounted, downward firing 6.5" woofer, along with the standard SuperOne drivers. Sorry, I can never remember the model number.

Regardless, I've never heard a bad NHT speaker. You could do a lot worse. I'm sure whatever you decide on, you'll enjoy it. :music:
 
I don't think you can go wrong with anything from NHT. I have Zero's I bought 30+ years ago and they still sound great. The only speakers I've ever bought new . Paired them with a NHT sw1 sub.
 
Without a sub? SuperOnes. The current 2.1 version goes slightly lower in the bass than the original and sounds awesome.
 
I have not heard the new 2.1 series, but they aren't as visually attractive as the older NHT gear. Aesthetics is important to me.

I have SuperZeros and SuperOnes, among several other models of NHT. To me the Zeros sound a bit better than the Ones for most of the listening I do.
 
My old SuperOnes have badly rotted foam on the little "woofer". Maybe they changed to a longer-lasting surround, but check your used ones — if they're foam, they will rot, even if they haven't yet. That would be a dealbreaker for me.
 
...With a sub?

I often listen without a sub in my 9'x12' office, mostly to podcasts (people talking) or classical music at low level, and here the SuperZeros are really nice, better than the SuperOnes I dare say.

For music in a larger space and at higher volumes, the Super Zeros and SuperOnes definitely benefit from a sub.

But it's all relative. From direct experience, even without a subwoofer SuperZeros + a $50 BPC receiver beat the HELL out of the following, soundwise:
  • ear buds,
  • iPhone's built in speaker (which wifey "enjoys" while "watching" tv),
  • any TV's built in speakers,
  • all PC multimedia systems I've had,
  • every under-cabinet mounted music thing for the kitchen,
  • any clock radio or iPod dock for the desk or bedroom,
  • built-in speakers in conference room projectors,
  • boom-box in the garage, yard, deck or patio.
I've done all of those and plenty more. Again, that's just considering sound. Add a powered sub and things are even better, but more complicated. Everyone has their own trade-offs of convenience, simplicity, sunk costs, portability, aesthetics, robustness, etc.

It's so cool putting "extra" gear to work!
 
Last edited:
I have three complete sets of SuperOnes. One set from 20+ years ago, one set older than that (both USA made) and a new set of the 2.1's. The all look the same cosmetically so an earlier comment was simply wrong and if there's an aural difference, I can't hear it. I don't like subs and don't use them. I also have an early set of the SuperZeros and like them even better than the SuperOnes because their mid-range is incredible and I have an aversion to low frequencies. This little pair is used with a Marantz PM6004 and a TV in my bedroom system. They double as 2 channel TV speakers (soooo much better than a soundbar) and streaming music through the Roku Pandora and Spotify app. Also use my ancient JCV CD player in that system.

In a little room, the SuperZeros are incredible. Get a sub if you must. For all around use, however, I think the SuperOnes are the better choice for music. In my 5.1 home theater set-up I've had for 20+ years, I use SuperOnes for the center and rear speakers with Celestion DL-8 II's for front L and R. No damn sub so it's really a 5.0 system.

The SuperOnes are what we use upstairs with a Marantz PM8004 and Marantz CD-6004 but 90+% of the time, we're streaming Pandora and Spotify from an iPad running it through the CD6004 front input USB port (using its onboard DAC).

At my other house, I have the SuperZeros with a Marantz PM5005 which is what runs the TV and music in the family room.
 
Another person here with much love for the Super Zeros. Below 100 hz, forget it. Ken Kantor, a former AK guru, designed these, and well.
 
Thank you all so much for the feedback. It's kind of amazing how generous people are with their knowledge and time on a forum like this. Worth appreciating for a moment.
Another user pm'd me to suggest some other brands - he didn't want to steer an NHT-specific thread off-topic. But his basic advice was to consider speakers that can get down a bit lower if I'm dead set on not using a sw. Similar advice to what StimpyWan offered - definitely old enough to drink, btw.
I ended up finding a pair of JBL SW38's on CL for $180 in outrageously good shape for being from 2004, or whenever they came out. I'm very happy with them. It's kind of opened up listening to music in the evenings as something to be experienced again - which had disappeared for a little while. (Also running the TV through them - csgreene, I think I've got very similar sonic taste as you)
I remain fascinated by NHT's stuff. But I guess my interested in their mids and balance will go unrequited a while longer.
Thank you all again! This site's an incredibly resource.
 
Back
Top Bottom