• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bread Machines

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I want to get another bread machine. This time I am going to get a unscale model. The 2 units I am looking at are the Breville Custom Loaf Bread Maker, and the Zojirushi Home Bakery Virtuoso Plus. These 2 machines are about the same price and are very similar in features. The Zojirushi can also make jams and Jellies. Plus mearloaf. The last bread I had machine was an inexpensive model that only made machine bread mixes. The above machines can make any kind of bread, or dough you want. One thing I want to do is make my own hotdog buns.

Any advice?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
https://www.moneypop.com/life/pointless-kitchen-appliances/?view-all&chrome=1

Funny you should bring this up. I just read this yesterday. Bout the only one I disagree with is the deep fat fryer. I have been using one of those up to a few times a week for my whole life. My cooking life started at 6. I'm 65 now.

But I agree with what they say about the bread maker. My kitchen oven is a convection oven, and I can make more different types of bread and better looking and taste better than a bread maker.
Case in point. A couple decades ago my mother and step father felt they wanted a bread maker. They bought 1 and after about 3 or 4 cookings, thought they needed a better one. Ordered it, and had the same results. Now one is in the kitchen not being used and the other is in storage. They figured they would rather use the pots and pans they already had used with making bread in the oven.
They had to admit my bread from the oven was better than theirs and there was no limit to the kind of breads I could make,

I bet if you ask, a lot of people afterwhile just leave their bread machines setting, like they did their stationary bikes.
 
Last edited:
https://www.moneypop.com/life/pointless-kitchen-appliances/?view-all&chrome=1

Funny you should bring this up. I just read this yesterday. Bout the only one I disagree with is the deep fat fryer. I have been using one of those up to a few times a week for my whole life. My cooking life started at 6. I'm 65 now.

But I agree with what they say about the bread maker. My kitchen oven is a convection oven, and I can make more different types of bread and better looking and taste better than a bread maker.
Case in point. A couple decades ago my mother and step father felt they wanted a bread maker. They bought 1 and after about 3 or 4 cookings, thought they needed a better one. Ordered it, and had the same results. Now one is in the kitchen not being used and the other is in storage. They figured they would rather use the pots and pans they already had used with making bread in the oven.
They had to admit my bread from the oven was better than theirs and there was no limit to the kind of breads I could make,

I bet if you ask, a lot of people afterwhile just leave their bread machines setting, like they did their stationary bikes.
That is exactly what happened to the first I purchased. The high-end bread makers of today are very sophisticated. They can make the dough that you form up to bake in a conventional oven. The leaving it sitting unused it on my mind.
 
I have owned a Westbend bread maker for about 20 years. I bet I have only made bread in it 3 or 4 times. I do use it all the time though for kneading dough and mostly pizza dough. It does a much better job than a mixer for that purpose.
 
I've had several bread machines over the years. The current model has a window in the top so I can watch the action.
I only use mine in the colder months...usually when i'm making a pot of soup for dinner.
It basically makes the same kind of loaf all the time. If i want to diversify baking bread i'd use the oven. The machine is all about convenience and fun.
 
I have owned a Westbend bread maker for about 20 years. I bet I have only made bread in it 3 or 4 times. I do use it all the time though for kneading dough and mostly pizza dough. It does a much better job than a mixer for that purpose.
That is one of the main reasons for getting one. I am a sandwich freak, and I include hotdogs in that category, I want to make my hotdog buns. E
 
I want to get another bread machine. This time I am going to get a unscale model. The 2 units I am looking at are the Breville Custom Loaf Bread Maker, and the Zojirushi Home Bakery Virtuoso Plus. These 2 machines are about the same price and are very similar in features. The Zojirushi can also make jams and Jellies. Plus mearloaf. The last bread I had machine was an inexpensive model that only made machine bread mixes. The above machines can make any kind of bread, or dough you want. One thing I want to do is make my own hotdog buns.

Any advice?
Will the Zojirushi put the jam or jelly on the bread when it’s finished baking ?
 
I only ever used ours for making dough. Pizza dough, specifically. It just never let the dough proof and then bake properly. My cousin's wife (The Greek) makes flat-out the best bread I have ever encountered. Better than any restaurant, any bakery. Perfection. She makes rustic loaves of a sort of sourdough. These are baked in a standard kitchen oven in terracotta oven "pots". The result is amazing.

Not that I need that much bread.

If you want to step up your bread game, try one of those baking pots. Apparently they work that well.

I make a large batch of Easter bread every Spring. 8-12 loaves. Way too big a job for a bread maker. Give most of it away.
 
Last edited:
Wood fired out door ovens are very easy to build. Youtube has numerous tutorials on how to build them. One you master their temperature control the bread products they turn out are without equal. They work quite well with the charcoal used in Charcoal grills.
 
The better bread machines made the bread loaf horizontal and had multiple paddles
 
Go with Zo! Trust me on this one.

It's the machine that's oft referred to as the "Benchmark" for comparing to the other bread makers.

We're on our second one. The last lasted forever, even after heavy usage.

These bread makers have no match far as I'm concerned.


They also offer a great rice cooker and coffee drip as well, eh?


And...not affiliated in any way with the above company. Just one who has all three and like the rabbit...they tend to go on and on... .


Q
 
A Zojirushi rice machine is also in the works. I sure wish I could use the Rice cookers they only sell in Japan. I have had an account with Amazon Japan for years. I can get them but the voltage is wrong for use in the ststes.
 
A Zojirushi rice machine is also in the works. I sure wish I could use the Rice cookers they only sell in Japan. I have had an account with Amazon Japan for years. I can get them but the voltage is wrong for use in the ststes.


They make transformers to use Japanese voltage audio gear in the US; would one work for a bread machine?
 
If the frequency is the same, I'd put a variac in line to drop the voltage from 120 to 100.

Again, if the appliance requires 50hz instead of our 60, well, ......
 
They make transformers to use Japanese voltage audio gear in the US; would one work for a bread machine?

Do these bread machines also bake the dough ?
If so, then that seriously raises the current (ampere) requirement of the 120-100v step down transformer, or Variac if used, at least while in the baking mode !
And if one could find a stepdown transformer with "honest wattage/VA specifications" of the level needed, with, IMO/E at least 25% more amperage/VA/ampere headroom, I for one, would think the stepdown transformer/variac to be rather pricy.

My Mr. Coffee coffee maker draws around 8 amps (1000 watts) as an example of a heating element requirements while it`s boiling the water.
Just something to consider, folks
 
Do these bread machines also bake the dough ?
If so, then that seriously raises the current (ampere) requirement of the 120-100v step down transformer, or Variac if used, at least while in the baking mode !
And if one could find a stepdown transformer with "honest wattage/VA specifications" of the level needed, with, IMO/E at least 25% more amperage/VA/ampere headroom, I for one, would think the stepdown transformer/variac to be rather pricy.

My Mr. Coffee coffee maker draws around 8 amps (1000 watts) as an example of a heating element requirements while it`s boiling the water.
Just something to consider, folks

Important things to remember.

These machines do bake the dough
 
Back
Top Bottom