• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bryston 3B or Pioneer Spec 1&2?

Bryston is 200wpc into 4 ohms, the Spec 2 is at least 350. The Spec 2 is fairly easy to restore. I personally would go for the extra power. My experience is it is the preamp that will make the biggest difference in sound. I have a Spec 2 and had a Spec 1. While the Spec 1 was nice and had a ton of features, I prefer a "warmer" presentation and am soon to be in the market for a hybrid preamp.


Thanks Donberry, I like having some details about how things might sound. I am really happy with the warmth of the Harman/Kardon pre-amp I currently have, and I think it might work well with the clean Bryston sound. I think it's warm, but I haven't really given tubes a chance, for comparison.
 
I'd go for the Bryston but would want to get it for closer to going/market value. Then invest a bit to have rebuild the Citation 17. I've got one, too, and it will improve quite a bit with new electrolytic caps in it.

You might consider the Spec 1/2 stuff but only if you're handy with rebuilding it yourself for the cost of parts. Labor will add considerably to the cost of these 30+ year old units.

I have the service manual for the Cit 17 if you need. Just PM.

Cheers,

David
 
Good advice about the recap, thanks. It seems like almost everyone agrees the Bryston is a better amp. And I've never heard anyone say that new capacitors are a waste of money. It seems to be the most obvious tweak out there.
 
WHAT model Brystons???

3B
3BNRB
3BST
3BSST
4B
4BST
4BSST

now obviously you aint gettin a mint 4BSST for $1000 but I don't see where you mentioned which models???

I've owned spec 1&2, bryston 2BPro, 3B, I prefer the cleaner sound of the bryston gear I've owned, BUT, it all depends on which models of brystons and what condition everything is in and cost!

Unless you have a bottomless wallet and can buy them both and sell the ones you like least...
 
I think a Citation 19 would also be a excellent choice, a good match with the Citation preamp. It will have plenty of power and reserve. Unless already done, they would probably serve you best being serviced and recapped.
It's been a while since I have heard a 19, I don't recall it's signature sound- however, with the exception on the Citation 12, most H/K amps are fairly neutral sounding in my experience.
Other suggestions would be a H/K PA 2400, or H/K Signature 1.5. These two amps are, for the most part, neutral sounding, solid quick bass, very extended range, without being harsh, and perhaps may be a better match for the 17s. Being newer, the probably would need nothing other than ajustments, and perhaps a check of solder joints. The 1.5 has a slight edge on resolution.
Too much of I good thing, i.e "warmth" may potentially backfire. I would avoiding paring up a warm sounding preamp with a warm sounding amp.
I agree with Donberry, the preamp/amp match is a critical one, but the other supporting cast is as well.
 
Last edited:
dunno, some circuit differences I would imagine, hard to say unless a person knew exactly, lol

NRB was like the 3rd iteration of the design... the 1st ones were chromed handled, then black handled, then NRB, then ST, SST iirc
 
These reviews give an idea of the NRB/ST differences:

http://bryston.com/reviews/3bst/audidea.html

http://bryston.com/reviews/3bst/3bfi.html

http://bryston.com/reviews/3bst/ie3bst.html


With that change Bryston went from being considered good, dependable, well built amps that sounded good to being one small step below the best for a lot less.

For what it's worth, I spoke to Andrew Marshall and though he gave the ST a great review he claims the SST is MUCH better and urged me to upgrade. Different price range when new however and a lot more money on the used market. The ST is without a doubt the sweet spot in the used market.
 
WHAT model Brystons???

For the price, I was looking at the basic 3B and 4B. Looks like I could wait around for an ST model with the info you all have provided. Excellent advice.

I also will start looking for any Citation amps - I recently missed a Citation 16 for $250. Youch, but again we might be looking at refurbishing costs.

So many good $1000 amps! any other recommendations?
 
Back
Top Bottom